Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
It certainly doesn't hurt to occasionally run on reserve. Even though there's only a tiny bit of fuel kinda "stuck" in the reserve valve, there's also a tiny but of micro particles -- dust, dirt, etc. -- stuck in there as well. Letting fresh fuel run through the reserve valve for a bit will prevent any build up.

By design, the fuel valve assembly sits above the absolute bottom of the tank. That way most dirt, dust, etc. that inevitably enters the tank ends up settling below the fuel valve assembly. The ensuing sludge will eventually need to be cleaned out. The good news is that it takes years for any significant amount of sludge to build up.

It's an archaic system, but it works pretty well!

:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It certainly doesn't hurt to occasionally run on reserve. Even though there's only a tiny bit of fuel kinda "stuck" in the reserve valve, there's also a tiny but of micro particles -- dust, dirt, etc. -- stuck in there as well. Letting fresh fuel run through the reserve valve for a bit will prevent any build up.

By design, the fuel valve assembly sits above the absolute bottom of the tank. That way most dirt, dust, etc. that inevitably enters the tank ends up settling below the fuel valve assembly. The ensuing sludge will eventually need to be cleaned out. The good news is that it takes years for any significant amount of sludge to build up.

It's an archaic system, but it works pretty well!

:)

Attachments

Registered
Dunno about anyone else, BUT I ride in RES once ON gives out, Fairly Regular...
I`d say at least 1 outta three tankfuls,
Dennis
I don`t recall switching to RES until needed though...

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Water goes to the bottom of the tank so after I fill up I run mine on reserve for a bit before putting it in the normal run position. I figure if water is in the tank I would rather hit it with a full tank of gas. It is much more rare for water to be in the fuel these days but I am used to going on trips when bad fuel would shut you down. That just makes me more careful.

Registered
1995 VT1100C2
A good practice is to occasionally reach down and switch to reserve and then back. This ensures you know how to do it without looking if you do run out of fuel plus it helps keep the valve in good order. I do it about 2 - 3 times a season.

Registered
Back when I had bikes that had reserve, I would run till I needed reserve, record the trip meter reading, then go gas up. This way I would know the tank mileage then run it completely dry and record that mileage. Then you know how far approximately how far you can push it.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
A good practice is to occasionally reach down and switch to reserve and then back. This ensures you know how to do it without looking if you do run out of fuel plus it helps keep the valve in good order. I do it about 2 - 3 times a season.
I gotta laugh with reading this post @gdb069 ;)

Yeah I laugh at myself each time I reach down to find RES while thinking about it, because I reach down in front of my leg only to find that it`s under my thigh...
When I switch on the go after giving outta ON I automatically reach under ...

AND >> Then When I`m on the VTX, I ain`t automatic, I gotta hunt the valve...
I ain`t give out on the VTX yet, OTHER than when I`m leaving the yard after John has rode his bike...
He shuts it OFF

That`s just the way it is,
Dennis

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Back when I had bikes that had reserve, I would run till I needed reserve, record the trip meter reading, then go gas up. This way I would know the tank mileage then run it completely dry and record that mileage. Then you know how far approximately how far you can push it.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what I do but being in town makes it a lot harder. I have had from 32-45 mpg depending on my driving, traffic, stops, etc. I hate that I can't look into the Honda tank and see the fuel. In my other bikes I can tell how much is in the tank by a quick glance if I haven't paid enough attention to the mileage.

Premium Member
Another reason nobody has mentioned is just to make sure the reserve isn't clogged. When you need it is not the time to find out that the reserve doesn't work.
Same with occasionally shutting it off with the kickstand switch and also the kill switch.

Registered
I ride with the reserve valve open at all times and reset the trip meter every time I gas up . I do not want to have the bike quit out on the road without warning and have to switch to reserve possibly in a poor traffic situation. I usually fill up no later than 200 miles. I normally leave for a ride with a full tank.

Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
I ride with the reserve valve open at all times and reset the trip meter every time I gas up . I do not want to have the bike quit out on the road without warning and have to switch to reserve possibly in a poor traffic situation. I usually fill up no later than 200 miles. I normally leave for a ride with a full tank.
Mine doesn't get as good gas mileage (modded 750 ACE) and it varies depending on how hard I push it (35mpg to 50mpg, US gallon) I run with the petcock on until it complains and switch to reserve. It doesn't just instantly die and have no qualms switching in any traffic situation. Not having reserve and a bone dry tank is too scary a game for me.

Registered
My bike is a stock 2009 750 Areo and my mileage is usually 60 MPG US plus. The lowest I have ever gotten is 55 mpg flying a 3' X 5' American flag at 65 to 70 mph. I play it pretty safe and have been down to 1/2 gallon left in tank only once.

Registered
1995 VT1100C2
I also reset trip meter every fill but why not just ride with fuel valve ON and reset trip meter. You may have to refuel at 180 miles. That way you will always have a little reserve. To me it just doesnt make sense to be out of fuel "possibly in a poor traffic situation" when you can simply switch to reserve. PS there is some warning that you are running low on fuel since the fuel is sloshing around a bit so you will notice a lack of acceleration and maybe slowing a bit providing adequate time to change to Reserve.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts