Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

New to working on bikes. 2008 750 aero. with fuel tank off bike should I not be able to set the petlock valve to open and have the fuel drain out of the tank? I thought it should be a gravity feed to the carb and so drain but it is not, am I wrong? or is the valve clogged.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It will not gravity feed the carbs. You have a pump and filter and maybe a cut-off valve in the way. If you remove the hose at the PET and set at open or res the tank should drain.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kk tx the tank is off

Thanks I had the tank off and no hose to the PET but no fuel was coming out out Res or On so guesss I have a clogged petock or the strainer inside tank is clogged.

Now to figure a way to get all the fuel out withoutmaking a mess hehe.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
There might be a valve in the PET to prevent flow UNLESS the is demand. (Pump has to be pulling for fuel to flow). There is a screen filter on most Petcocks, that could be plugged up..

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Which way is the handle on the petcock pointing? It should be pointing straight up in the reserve setting. That's the only position to get all the gas out of the tank.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You could always remove the petcock. That way you can accomplish what you are really after: draining all of the crud from the tank AND you can clean the petcock while it is out.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My petlock valve pts left and right

down is off, left is reserve, right is on.

was trying to get gass out without making a mess then remove petlock to see if it was clogged. Bike just stopped when i ws riding it like the fuel shutvalve was closed. when i removed fuel line from petlock, there was none of the expected fuel dripping from the line.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
petcock

down is off, left is reserve, right is on.

was trying to get gass out without making a mess then remove petlock to see if it was clogged. Bike just stopped when i ws riding it like the fuel shutvalve was closed. when i removed fuel line from petlock, there was none of the expected fuel dripping from the line.
Are you sure about the position of the petcock lever. My Sabre is down-on, middle-off and up-reserve.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Did you pop the gas cap off? I can't imagine the strainer over the petcock could be clogged bad enough to stop gas flow totally.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 750 Aero's have a diaphram operated petcock. The diaphram opens the flow. You can see the second tube and its connection towards the center of the bike.

If the system is operating as it should, you can take the tank off and no gas will come from the petcock. That is, unless you actuate the diaphram.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are you sure about the position of the petcock lever. My Sabre is down-on, middle-off and up-reserve.
I think his is the same as yours, its just that his is turned 90 degrees.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Looks like mooney1el wins the prize. It does have a vacuum operated petcock, but there should be a prime position so that gas can go to pump is there is no vacuum present. If you didn't find a vacuum hose connected to the petcock then that's the problem with your bike. No vaccum-no gas. Either the hose fell completely off or the end just came loose from the petcock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts