Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after hours of pouring over this forum about the hole saw mod and alternative hole saw mods, I finally did it. I was at Home Depot picking up some paint for the wife and I walked past the tools. I figured, what the ****, I'll check out the hole saw bits. Sure enough, a 2" bit was ON SALE for $10.99. I took it as a sign from above that I should buy it and do this mod.

Before I get going into the mod, I have to admit that the only reason I'm doing this instead of buying the new pipes I really want is that my wife isn't working and I can't justify spending $400-$600 on pipes and the add-ons that go with pipes.

Ok, so I bought the bit and some dry lube. I bought dry lube instead of WD-40 because I have seen some people complain about WD-40 possibly catching fire. The dry lube was the same price anyway.

I went home, told the wife I'd be "outside drilling holes in my motorcycle," and snickered as I went outside. I had watched some videos on YouTube of people doing this so I got to work. I put the bike in gear and out a block in front of the tire to prevent it from moving while I drilled. I lubed up the top pipe and started drilling. After practically tearing my elbow off, I added a ton of lube and used my knee to keep the drill from rotating. It took about 30-45seconds worth of drilling and I was through. I grabbed the plyers and pulled and the resonator came right out. I will eventually file down the inside a bit to smooth it out but it's too hot tonight. I said a little prayer and fired her up. She was deeper but not deep enough. I repeated the process with the lower pipe and REALLY prayed this time. I fired her up and despite my skepticism, she sounded deep and powerful. It's not nearly as loud as having cobras, but it actually sounds like a motorcycle instead of a scooter now!

All in all, it too me about 20minutes including clean up and I spent $14. I definitely recommend this mod. I was really skeptical and nervous but I will rest easy tonight and I am actually excited to get out and ride to work tomorrow!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Glad to hear you liked the sound, as some do and some don't...
I did mine awhile back and have been more than happy with how it sounds and the level of noise coming from it.
I haven't had any desire to go to aftermarket pipes since doing this....
It just feels good with it sounding like a V-Twin and not a singer sewing machine...
Hope you enjoy it....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.