Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a photochromic shield for their full face helmet?

If so, does it work well?

I have a Scorpion EXO-700 Fury helmet and found that they have a photochromic shield for $69.95 at newenough.com.

I wear glasses and have clip-on sunglasses made especially for the frames. Unable to wear contacts as I have a tri-focal prescription. I've looked into Panoptx as they do prescriptions for their frames, but they are quite pricey.
I thought this photochromic shield might be a way to go. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has tried a photochromic shield.

· Registered
172 Posts
I've not used a shield but I did have a set of glasses. I didn't like the slight yellow tint they had when they where clear. I don't think it would be a problem with a face shield.

If you get the shield make sure you do this!

DON'T TAKE IT OUTSIDE UNTIL IT'S A BRIGHT CLEAR SUNNY DAY!

The photochromatic compound has a "memory" so if you get you new shield in and lets say it's an overcast day when you take them outside they will darken 70% of their potential. This will be as dark as they can get now. So on a bright day they will only darken to 70% of whet they could have. So it's important to wait till a fully sunny day to expose them to so they will darken to 100% of their capability.

Now I don't know if their has been advances in the last 10 years so it doesn't do this anymore or if the manufacture presets the memory but I wouldn't take a chance with a $70 shield.

I myself have the EXO-700 and use the clear and extra dark shield for day use. They are really easy to change so that's not a big deal. Only problem I have with them is the space it takes up in the saddlebag.

Here is my Helmet.

This is a really nice shield holder I found. It's for dirt bike helmets shields so you can wear it like a belt.

This is the back side.

This is how the shield fits in the bag.

This is it inside my saddlebag.

· Banned
4,110 Posts
tvaudio said:
Does anyone have a photochromic shield for their full face helmet?

If so, does it work well?

I have a Scorpion EXO-700 Fury helmet and found that they have a photochromic shield for $69.95 at newenough.com.

I wear glasses and have clip-on sunglasses made especially for the frames. Unable to wear contacts as I have a tri-focal prescription. I've looked into Panoptx as they do prescriptions for their frames, but they are quite pricey.
I thought this photochromic shield might be a way to go. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has tried a photochromic shield.

I have a Scorpion 400 with the photo shield. It works very well. It doesn't get wicked dark but it does work very well. Combined with the anti-fog and general quality of the helmet, I think it's a great package at a great price. Come to think of it, I haven't even used the helmet w/o the photo shield. I put it on when I bought the helmet. Works even at night. The bright headlights and such don't darken it up - or at least not enough to be a problem. I give it a thumbs up.

· Registered
3,761 Posts
AmishWarlord said:
The photochromatic compound has a "memory" so if you get you new shield in and lets say it's an overcast day when you take them outside they will darken 70% of their potential. This will be as dark as they can get now. So on a bright day they will only darken to 70% of whet they could have. So it's important to wait till a fully sunny day to expose them to so they will darken to 100% of their capability.

That's interesting. Are the photochromatic sunglasses the same way?

Where'd you get the shield bag? I like that.
I usually just keep mine in a cotton tube-sock, but I like the bag better.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
i bought an add on photo chromatic shield that left me wanting for more. looks like the scorpio unit is the shield itself if so i'd say go for it otherwise id steer clear. the polycarbonate shields have uv inhibitors in them that will adversely affect the performance of the photo chrome add ons.

also regardless of construction i'd also advise you to keep it warm mine died after a few trips in near freezing temps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.