Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a web site that lists smaller (cheaper) motels that are bike friendly. I found some stuff on a route 66 search but I am thinking more about taking a couple of days down in Arkansas.

I am more concerned with security or someone messing with the bike.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
628 Posts
This place is in Eureka Springs: http://www.ridersrestmotel.com/

It's really cool. It's cheap. Biker's only. The owner's name is Bob, he's a rider, he's super nice and more than happy to recommend rides in the area (in fact he's got some maps already xeroxed and ready for you). I can't remember his wife's name, but she's an English lady and couldn't be nicer.

I stayed there last year and I have reservations next month as well.

Highly recommended. -Jay

·
Registered
567 Posts
World 66 is good you can also use Expedia and Orbit and look at their cheaper hotels. Motorcycle friendly does not mean your bike will be safe, it just means the ownership tolerates loud pipes. There are a lot of Motorcycle campgrounds opening up in the Southeast, maybe all over. Do a search on that most of them have tolerable cabins and a bathouse. Be careful though there is one in North Carolina that charges $40 a night but I found a motel in Maggie Valley for $20 a night so compare before you reserve.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Here is a different POV on the parking your bike at a hotel worry.

I look at it this way, there are several types of thieves, opportunistic, calculated, stupid.

The Opportunistic theives will go riding around in a truck pull up and snatch a bike (with some resale part value) that is not chained to anything.....very rare but they know where to look.
They will usually not try to defeat a lock.

Calculated - find or know of a good expensive bike, plan a break in or heist when the owner is not around and it will be safe - from the owners garage if necessary. Can defeat any lock you can buy.

Stupid - try's to steal a Honda because he couldn't tell it from a HD, only to find that pushing it in a circle is the only thing it will do.

A known motorcycle hotel stopping spot is good for the opportunistic, but not a bad choice for the calculated. Although you do have more people being vigilant about who is messing with the bikes.
Park you bike near the Harley's with a big chain around it and a post or another bike and you are good to go.

A random hotel. Better if it is off the main drag, reduces the opportunistic and stupid thieves especially if you secure it to another large or fixed object.

Hotel on the main drag, opens up possibilities for the opportunistic, and stupid, but again locking to the a large fixed object will be a big deterrent.

You best security feature is that if you are riding a couple year old Honda Shadow, the value is very low.

G

·
I got a room at the no tell motel
a room for my bike and me
they didnt ask me no questions at all
just smiled and gave me the key
The desk clerk said come over here
because I've got something to confide
I wonder if when you are done mounting her
maybe I can taking her for a ride
I got a room at the no tell motel
a room for my bike and me
And if you need a job I can hook you up
it so happens theres a desk clerk vacancy

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I think just covering the bike while stayiing at a motel is about the best idea. Nobody actually knows what KIND of bike is under there, so they're less apt to mess with it. And asking for a ground level room is always a plus, if there is one available.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Chaser said:
Does anyone know of a web site that lists smaller (cheaper) motels that are bike friendly. I found some stuff on a route 66 search but I am thinking more about taking a couple of days down in Arkansas.

I am more concerned with security or someone messing with the bike.

Thanks

Bill
Here is a site you can look at http://www.motelguide.com/ usually when I'm on the road I use Motel 6, Best Western, Super 8 and if the area is questionable I ask for a down stair room or ask the clerk if I can park near the office, I also carry a cover for he bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MT Shipp- Thought about parking it in the room. Gotta measure the bars cause I don't think they will go through a standard 36" door. I usually try to get a down and out room (sounds like the bad side of town) when ever I can. Easier to carry all the crap in.

CD - I really hope you are making a butt load of cash with that imagination and wit. Classic.

I did find a disk lock that has an alarm built in on bikebandit. About $80.00. Maybe money well spent. The cover I have is way to heavy to try to travel with. Thanks for the inputs guys.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Chaser said:
MT Shipp- Thought about parking it in the room. Gotta measure the bars cause I don't think they will go through a standard 36" door. I usually try to get a down and out room (sounds like the bad side of town) when ever I can. Easier to carry all the crap in.

CD - I really hope you are making a butt load of cash with that imagination and wit. Classic.

I did find a disk lock that has an alarm built in on bikebandit. About $80.00. Maybe money well spent. The cover I have is way to heavy to try to travel with. Thanks for the inputs guys.
I have just a disk lock, don't remember the price, buy a cheap cover just to carry on trips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.