Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during my streetbike riding career,i`ve owned lots of different bikes (many hd ultras,gold wings,softails) but a constant has remained nearly the whole time and that is,i`ve also, almost owned a honda 1100 shadow of one variation or another at the same time.

i guess the reasons i always seem to have a shadow around were that they were inexpensive,readily available, and rocksolid dependable.( had to have a "cheap" bike to ride when some of my other brands broke down :wink: )

anyway,time has marched on. i`ve got a 9 yr old son and a 13 yr old daughter.them along w/ myself began racing hare scrambles in 2001. something that not only keeps us all tight as a family but also allows me to share my love of 2 wheels w/ my family,AS a family.

so,the reason for my request is for the past nearly 7 years ,i`ve been stumbling over $18,000 plus street bikes while i was working on $3000 dirt bikes. my street riding time is not nearly as frequent as it once was because we average traveling about 1.5 weekends a month to the races in the vchss.org . this year,i`ve decided that dear old dad will try a little sacrificial release and NOT think i have to keep a high dollar street ride alongside the dirtbikes.gonna use THAT money to keep me and my kids on competitive race equiptment :shock:
i recently acquired a 1993 vt1100 that was crashed and totalled about 10 years ago and put in a warehouse. the bike is finished and rideable now.

because i still do daytona (600miles from my house) and sturgis (almost 1900 miles from my house) and numerous day trips in the 500 mile range there are certain items that i will consider a must before i can make the shadow my "full time ride."

these items include,but are not limited too, rider`s backrest,hard locking saddlebags,locking tour trunk w/ pass backrest,fairing,floorboards,crash bar. the stock seat suits me fine but sometimes wifey poo goes w/ me and she grumbles about not being on one of our full fledged tourers :twisted:

anyways,i`ve already got saddlebags and a tour trunk from a gl 1100,and a fairing from hd flh. i have got to make (done tis before ) or buy :shock: a 2 into one exhaust so the bags will clear and also a mount for my tour trunk.

i`m very mechanically inclined and do custom fab and paint work all day long so that is not an issue. i`ve seen some pics of shadows on here that will be a close resemblance of what i`m going to build. i`m just looking for some more ideas in hopes it will cut my completion time. got to be ready for daytona you know :wink:

and thanks to those of you that post pics for ideas :!:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey Dirty D, I been doing that for several years now.....enjoying every minute.....Hope you enjoy yours.......A Mustang seat will help the wifey to think she's on one of your tourer's....

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I've done some pretty extensive touring on my Shadow ACE750 Dlx...see pic below.

I also have a tour bag that mounts on the cargo rack or sits pillion when alone.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Instead of 2 into one, why not do one pipe on each side, bagger style. You are keeping bags on it anyways right? Or did I read that wrong?

Gonz

·
Registered
51 Posts
My thoughts exactly, Gonzo..

The link I gave him in the above post is for a set of stock Ace Tourer pipes that mount low and come out each side. I believe they would work best with the bags.

Rick

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah,i like the bagger style exhaust too. the reason i`ll PROBABLY do the 2 into 1 thing on this is because i have a friend w/ a pipe bender that i can use after hours. i can buy any suitable mc muffler of my choice,mount it where needed,and bend and run the pipes for a 2into 1 system in just about an hour and a half.(done a few of these already)

the bagger style crossover style will take much more figurin and time. and quite honestly,i have a lot of work to do and still keep my regular customers happy if i`m gonna ride this to daytona in a finished state.

well,i guess we NEVER get finished but it will be very close :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes,i went there.evidently it takes a couple of days for your membership to become active so i am going to try and make contact w/ the seller somehow tomorrow. that is not a bad deal actually.assuming most everything is there. thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not sure the Tourer exhaust will bolt to the "93 VT1100 engine. I know the engine from 1995 to 2005 were the same in the VT1100's. I think a modified VT750 Ace or a VTX 1300 factory muffler coupled to your own head pipes might work. I think Samson made an excellent 2 into 1 exhaust for the VT1100. Check with Dennis Kirk to see what they have. Below is a link to one of our more creative members on the Ace Tourer forum site that did a great self built exhaust on his custom VT1100C. I really like the look of this exhaust. It would be really easy to do this in a true dual bagger exhaust sytem.
http://p090.ezboard.com/fhondashadowacetourerfrm56.showMessage?topicID=14.topic

Stan

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I can't stay out of this one...believe me when I say this...you can't knock the Shadows for V-Twins...but what about that flat 6??

There is a tourer setup you can't beat...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Macgyver0856 said:
Or do the Valk pillion mod on the passenger seat .
do tell more for us newbies about this valk pillion mod for the passanger seat ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Spirit_1100 said:
I can't stay out of this one...believe me when I say this...you can't knock the Shadows for V-Twins...but what about that flat 6??

you and your flat six......

one of these days, i'll have a valk of my own, and when i do, the ACE will be bobbed and chopped. (if it doesn't happen before then)

back on topic, if someone comes up with a bagger style exhaust for the 750 shadow ACE...i'd be interested as well.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
psychoboy said:
Spirit_1100 said:

you and your flat six......
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spirit_1100 said:

yeah,i love the flats too,both 6s and 4s. the power is seamless. i am very into the ergonomics of whatever bike i`m riding and the biggest problem i have w/ the flats is lack of places to put your feet on long trips. for getting comfortable,it`s hard to beat a narrow v-twin and a set of floorboards imo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
you can't knock the Shadows for V-Twins...but what about that flat 6??
Well, for one thing, it's not a V-twin. That flat 6 is fine if you don't mind your cruiser sounding like a 53 in-line 6 cyl Corvette. Both are fine engines but different strokes for different folks. :lol:

Stan

·
Registered
14 Posts
I changed my stock 1100 Ace last year to more of a bagger/touring style bike using a Corbin seat and their Griffter Kit(bags, fenders, side covers, Samson side by side Fish Tails, Cobra floor boards, light bar, engine guard, and Memphis windshield. It was money well spent in terms of ride comfort, extra dry storage and looks and sounds great. IMO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts