Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on ride this morning in honor of a slain officer in Hernando County Florida. Even though it was cold this morning (about 30 but it warmed to almost 50 by time the ride started) there were, I would guess about 200+ riders. They started the ride at the place where the deputy was killed and took us to the cemetery where they had several speakers and family. It was very moving to see so much support for law enforcement.

The Patriot Guard was there as was CMA and other groups. See the link to an article about the ride. There were many pictures taken. If I see any of them online I’ll post them tomorrow.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/17/Citrus/Bike_ride_honors_fall.shtml

G

·
0 Posts
Amazing how it always seems to be those in the motorcycle community that come out for these types of things. Maybe the motives are less the honorable in a few riders minds but by and large I think the majority of participants have their hearts and heads in the right place when they decide to organize these types of rides. I am sure folks from other endeavors are just as willing to memorialize fallen officers and soldiers but then you don't often here of a Soccer Moms mini van parade now do you?

·
Registered
335 Posts
LOL CD, Soccer moms aren't looking for an excuse to get more seat time in their minivans! I do agree however that riders in general have a better grasp of the true meaning of freedom and law, and so are more willing to support and honor those that make it possible.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I remember Lonnie Coburn and the day he was killed. I moved to Hernando Co. in 1971 {left in 1988} and that was a horrible incident, a very bad shock to a close knit rural community. My best friend is a retired Hernando Co. deputy who has had his share of harrowing moments himself. He retired shortly after an incident in which he shot and killed a fugitive NJ cop killer after a chase and gun battle a few years ago. He got all kinds of accolades AND a reprimand for using an "unauthorized weapon" to do the job. Go figure :evil:
The general feeling back in 1978 was that if Pasco Co. had not gotten to the killers first, they would not be on death row right now, they would have never made it back to the Hernando co. jail!
The St. Pete Times article summed up the situation in 1978 very well as I remember it.
Glad to hear folks still remember and that you had a chance to ride!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Steve:

I am really happy to hear the ride went good for all of you. I was thinking about you when the sun came out and it started to warm up. I have yet to see 200 bikes all together on the road at once.

I am really sorry I wasn't able to join you but I am sure we will hook up soon for a ride.

Glad to see you enjoyed the ride. It was for a sad but great cause and I am sure it meant a great deal to the family.

Your Hudson Shadow Bud,

Chris

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Dang Steve. That was allot of bikes. I am really sorry I missed the ride. Maybe next time.

Thanks for posting the pic and news article.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts