Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. As in the linked post, I just bought a used 86 Shadow VT500C as my first bike.
There are a few small things I need to replace such as the following

1. petcock
2. Tires
3. Possible fork seals

Then there is something that I am not sure about but my mechanic said just helps with alignment or something.
The forks seem to have a piece missing. In fact I am storing the bike at at a family members house tonight and forgot to take a picture but basically the piece with the red arrows on the picture below is snapped off and missing... but the screws are still in place with the brokers 4 corners of this piece still attached. Can anyone tell me what this is and the name of the part so I can look for one?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
I believe the Factory calls it the front fork stabilizer, discontinued from the dealer but eBay has em. 83-86 are all the same part number, most people call it the fork brace it seems.

Reactions: azshadowrider

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the Factory calls it the front fork stabilizer, discontinued from the dealer but eBay has em. 83-86 are all the same part number, most people call it the fork brace it seems.

is this a critical part?

·
Registered
690 Posts
is this a critical part?
Not really, I imagine it does help distribute load between the forks but plenty of people the world over run hydraulic style forks without them tied together anywhere but the axle and trees.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really, I imagine it does help distribute load between the forks but plenty of people the world over run hydraulic style forks without them tied together anywhere but the axle and trees.
If it was your bike would you replace it?

·
Registered
690 Posts
If it was your bike would you replace it?
not a chance. I’d probably already be shaving the mounts off the fork sliders for a cleaner look.

Honestly I may not be the best gauge for that type of question as I have several mods on my 750 that people would question... I actually just installed shaved fork sliders and removed my front fender entirely, I have nothing holding my lower sliders together past the tree other than the axle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a chance. I’d probably already be shaving the mounts off the fork sliders for a cleaner look.

Honestly I may not be the best gauge for that type of question as I have several mods on my 750 that people would question... I actually just installed shaved fork sliders and removed my front fender entirely, I have nothing holding my lower sliders together past the tree other than the axle.
bit it helps to gauge how important it is to have. Sounds like it could have its benefits but it is not a priority if I’m looking to spend the 15 bucks on say the broken signal light stem or a new petcock instead

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,465 Posts
Froth and I seem to agree on a lot of things when it comes to bikes, but not this.
Probably OK around town, but I would not ride at speed without one.
It is there to stop independent movement and harmonic oscillations and fatigue from this is what causes them to crack and fail.
High speeds, rough surfaces and/or under heavy front braking is where problems will arise, not a great feeling and potentially catastrophic if the dice line up wrong.
If it wasn't needed and was purely cosmetic Honda would have made it out of plated plastic or left it off to save money.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,445 Posts
I would make a new one. Buying one is going to be very time consuming and likely more expensive than its worth. Its just a cast aluminum block so making a new one doesnt take much. I stripped a lot off my bike and I wouldnt run it without it personally

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Froth and I seem to agree on a lot of things when it comes to bikes, but not this.
Probably OK around town, but I would not ride at speed without one.
It is there to stop independent movement and harmonic oscillations and fatigue from this is what causes them to crack and fail.
High speeds, rough surfaces and/or under heavy front braking is where problems will arise, not a great feeling and potentially catastrophic if the dice line up wrong.
If it wasn't needed and was purely cosmetic Honda would have made it out of plated plastic or left it off to save money.
thank you for the clarification

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would make a new one. Buying one is going to be very time consuming and likely more expensive than its worth. Its just a cast aluminum block so making a new one doesnt take much. I stripped a lot off my bike and I wouldnt run it without it personally
making one sounds nice....but for a guy like me, much easier to just order one.

·
Registered
690 Posts
bit it helps to gauge how important it is to have. Sounds like it could have its benefits but it is not a priority if I’m looking to spend the 15 bucks on say the broken signal light stem or a new petcock instead
Now that I look at how flimsy the early 80’s fork sliders and axle is there is no way I’d run without it, while it can be done on many more modern and stout forks I wouldn’t do it on the little 37mm Tubes a 500 has.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
A lot of those for the 700 but not sure if it will fit. Here is a reinforcement plate to fit under the factory part. You don't have one at all , but it may be a solution as it is, for strength.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I really don’t know about the old 500’s, but I don’t have it on my 02 Spirit 1100 anymore as it went away when I deleted my front fender. Guys said this and that about how it’s necessary for riding at high speed. I run my Bike on the ragged edge a fair amount because I ride with sport bikes a fair amount. I school the kiddies with their XX/rr/h2’s and have never had a problem. It’s a Showa fork.. tried and true. The only thing that suffers are the ends of my pegs and the heels of my boots.
Just my 2 cents, no more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m getting mixed feedback. I mean most say it is unesesaary but the ones that say it is necessary are pretty adamant about it for safety. Considering it is easy to screw on and only $30-40 bucks most to order a brand new one...I will probably just order it. At least now I know what it is so that I can find the part 🤗😀

·
Registered
690 Posts
I’m getting mixed feedback. I mean most say it is unesesaary but the ones that say it is necessary are pretty adamant about it for safety. Considering it is easy to screw on and only $30-40 bucks most to order a brand new one...I will probably just order it. At least now I know what it is so that I can find the part 🤗😀
You’ll always get some kind of mixed feedback on these types of issues, there are people running 10” over 35mm HD forks with no bracing and no fenders and they just deal with the fork flex, there are also people on the other side of the fence that will add an aftermarket fork brace to their short forked sport bike and claim it made the most difference ever.

In the world of motorcycles you need to use your own discretion a LOT, it’s how YOU feel on the bike that matters most because in the end you’re the only one riding it.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Some guys have a hot looking extended fork bobber with no front brake. Not my cup of tea.
And the fork brace I would like to keep it because the Japanese engineers are pretty smart for structural integrity.
It looks really cool to change things and throw away pieces, but I for one, like strength at 80 MPH on 2 wheels.
Just another opinion of course !

Reactions: Froth

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some guys have a hot looking extended fork bobber with no front brake. Not my cup of tea.
And the fork brace I would like to keep it because the Japanese engineers are pretty smart for structural integrity.
It looks really cool to change things and throw away pieces, but I for one, like strength at 80 MPH on 2 wheels.
Just another opinion of course !
I don’t see any reason not to have it

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
Just for the cool factor it is removed I believe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts