Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
I had heard of others cracked and broken also on the vt500's mostly.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
The older 500’s have a lot of fork flex due to the axle being offset from center on the fork lowers, you’ll see now that this is a known issue that very few if any modern hydraulic forks use an offset axle mounted to one side of the lowers, they almost universally put the axle in line with the bottom of the tubes, as it puts less rotational stress on the lowers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So it looks like with tires being around 2-3 hundred, I will probably take about 4-5 hundred getting the bike ready to ride to work here and there including this part. I went ahead and ordered the fork stabilizer and the extra brace that goes underneath as well as a new fork grill with honda emblem and fork grill cover from ebay.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,557 Posts
If Honda put it on, replace it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just an update, I ordered

Tires front and rear, Oil Filter, Air filter, and spark plugs for $170 out the door. Friend is a mechanic at a bike dealership so he ordered them for me at wholesale and won't charge me to balance the tires.

Ordered myself from eBay: Petcock replacement, Fork Grill cover and Fork Honda Emblem which is missing on mine... Fork Stabilizer, and metal re-enforcement to the stabilizer for underneath for $105 plus an extra 20 in tax and shipping.

All together about $295 into it. My fluids will be free and we will do a full change out of everything. Super excited.

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1 on replacing it. Should improve the handling. Even the bikes without an obvious one have them, (the reason for the rather stiff and heavy "fender brace" on models like the 750 Ace). In the 70's and 80's it was popular to add them (especially to your extended fork tubes)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,845 Posts
If you ever fly and see the wings of the plane flapping up and down 10 feet in turbulence, you don't want to hear that they saved $100 per plane by leaving a few of the wing braces out since they are pretty strong without them.

Reactions: CEA

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 86 VT700 I try to keep it as stock as possible. It has more hp than a lot of the newer bikes that are 1100 cc and up. Stock parts are getting harder to find. I was not able to find a factory petcock so good luck if you have to replace that. I would not go shaving forks or whatever. The old VT's are some of the coolest looking bikes honda ever made.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree, it is the front fork stabalizer and for your bike, the part should be Honda part: 53240-ME4-030

If my research is correct.

As for the petcock, it easy to do on most bikes and just be sure you order the right one with the right amount of outlets. Some have 1 and some have 2.

Tires can be done at home with a tire tool. Save you a lot rather than going to a shop typically. You will need a torque wrench for anything involving the axle. Dont want a tire coming off.
Use the oppertunity to check and replace brakes or anything worn.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So I thought I would post an update since it has been about two weeks.
Since then I have done the following.

$25 Replaced petcock (after receiving the wrong part twice. vacuum petcock was advertised and pictures but a manual petcock was sent instead that wasn’t the right for anyways finally had luck with the third vendor).

$10 the original OeM fork brace (still in the mail)

$10 fork brace reinforcement (not stock but helps provide more strength to the allumimum OEM part by fitting under)

$175 Brand new tire set, oil filter, air filter and 4 spark plugs from the dealer. Yes all of this for $175 because my mechanic works there and hooked me up.

$40 Original grill and Honda emblem that was missing (makes the front look way better

Changed all fluids.

adjusted the shifter because It was loose andangled way lower than it should have been.

adjusted and tightened the clutch (we think the bike was dropped as the shifter and clutch were both loose and bend a little)

sealed a small leakfrom the coolant overflow tank nothing major

power washed the bike here is a video

21 - 31 of 31 Posts