Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 93 1100 with a 42 pilot. I'm going to a 45. The screws are currently 4.25 turns out. Think a good equal starting point of the 45's is about 1 turn out? I just want a roughly equal spot so I can tune from there....

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Start where the manual specifies for stock. I think thats 2-2.5 turns.. Adjust from there. Trying to work from a theoretical equivalent will cause more confusion than it will help. The ratio is not linear it is more an exponential variable. The math is much more difficult than just adjusting by ear. NEVER set the screws more than 4 turns out, unless you are gluing them in place. There is only about 4.5 turns worth of threads.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I had a dab of gasketmaker in there. What a pain... looks like crap too.

Anyway, I got my 45's in and the 170's. Of course its raining, so I can't take it for a test ride, but I got my screws currently at 2 turns out. I let it idle in the garage for a while to warm up and tinkered with them by ear... Can't pin it down very well...seems to be a large range where the idle is the same... say, after 1 turn out it seems to top off for good idle, then stumbles at like 3.5 out...I'll have to tinker some more. Good thing is the plugs looked better...nicer light brown/tan color starting to show up. More importantly, I tested it a few times and no hot start issues yet... :):)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just checked it again, fired right up :)

I can tell I need to either synch or tinker with the AF screws. My idle is inducing just a little bit of a shake...little un-even. Not bad... heck, it would be smooth as silk for a harley hehehe.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I do sync and Pilot adjustments at the same time. Below is my pilot adjustment steps.
Idle is too low should not sound or vibrate anything close to a Harley.
Adjust idle to approx 1000, then adjust 1 screw in till it starts to stumble backoff till smooth, adjust idle to 1000, and just OTHER screw till stumble back off till smooth, adjust idle to 1000, sync, adjust idle, blip throttle, No pop, done, Pop turn screws to 1 turn farther than you started at and repeat steps, when you get no pop from blip. Put on a jacket and run it down the street, if popping repeat adjustments.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try that technique this afternoon. Unless you have a special tool, I'll need a very long fuel line or a remote tank to adjust the synch screw, won't I?

Also, I was joking about the Harley idle. I can just tell it's not as smooth as it used to be. Nothing bad though.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'll try that technique this afternoon. Unless you have a special tool, I'll need a very long fuel line or a remote tank to adjust the synch screw, won't I?

Believe it or not, your gas tank can set (on suitable height table) 90 degrees to the left (front of tank out) and still have the line hooked up for fuel. I discovered this while sync'ing mine a while back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well...it runs ok... I seem to have a little flat spot at about 1/3 throttle. It's not always there...if I roll on it relatively quickly I don't notice it. If I creep the throttle open, sometimes I notice it fighting me a bit. When I really notice it is sometimes when I crack the throttle it stutters for a second than goes. I tried adjusting the AF screws a bit to see if I can't smooth it out, so far no luck. I'm gonna keep tinkering for a bit, otherwise I think I'll go back to my 165 mains instead of the 170s....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just popped the 165s in instead of the 170s. Checked the plugs before, and it is confirmed, BLACK. So, I'll scale back to the 165's and adjust the AF accodingly with my new 45 pilots. Should be in business and hopefully the carbs can stay on for a while... I am getting good at taking them on and off... round trip is down to 20 min now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts