Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I ride a 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 and I love it but it's not very loud at all. I'd really like to put on some louder pipes for safety but I have no idea what I should purchase. I don't mind buying used either. I'd really like black pipes and SHORT. I love the short shot pipes.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
354 Posts
It sounds like you've already made your mind up. I wouldn't do the hole saw modification to your factory pipes. Keep them intact. Whenever you sell your bike the new owner might want to go back factory. The reason I say that is because you'd probably end up taking them off and changing to an aftermarket system anyway.
If you do change to a free flow system you may get some unwanted popping. This happens because Honda injects fresh air back into the exhaust flow to allow for more complete exhaust gas burning.
You might want to block off the fresh air and eliminate the popping. It's simple and costs less than five bucks in hardware store parts to do.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not to be jerky, but why does everyone jump to "when you sell it" lol.

OP, you want V&H pipes for a Phantom sounds like.

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
Personally, I went with the Cobra drags on my '03 Spirit 750, and I think they sound like a 1200 Sportster with Screamin' Eagles; deep, and throaty, but not TOO loud, to where you'll be annoying your neighbors, unless you really get on it hard, yet enough to make you noticed by other drivers around you. I've heard some of the other brands, too, and most of them seem to have a 'softer' sound, less HD-like. I've been asked MANY times what kind of HD I'm riding, partly because of the sound of my pipes. Got mine off eBay, too, brand new, so saved a ton on them.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,094 Posts
...some louder pipes for safety...
"pipes for safety" is non sequitur. With modern sound proofing and loud stereo equipment in cars it is almost impossible to hear emergency sirens let alone a somewhat loud motorcycle exhaust. I would select on appearance or increased performance or to annoy neighbors but safety is not a reasonable assumption.

G.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i concur with helmets and skills.
loud pipes blast backwards. think back to being passed by loud motorcycles. they arent that loud until they pass you.
so people behind you will hear you, but people infront, or off to the sides wont.
as a safety measure its not very good.

im all for loud pipes, but its ok to admit its for fashion, not safety.

just saying.

also, when you look at pipes do the research, you may need to rejet your carbs when changing them.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
loud pipes blast backwards. think back to being passed by loud motorcycles. they arent that loud until they pass you.
so people behind you will hear you, but people infront, or off to the sides wont...
Often thought about that.. It's probably illegal to vent pipes facing forward - or have a slip on that acts like a muzzle brake, have some sound from my pipes vented on a 45 forward and to the side..

If we didn't get thrown in the clink, we'd probably get shot at on a regular basis by those we share the road with though ;)

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
so people behind you will hear you, but people infront, or off to the sides wont.
as a safety measure its not very good.

im all for loud pipes, but its ok to admit its for fashion, not safety.

just saying.

also, when you look at pipes do the research, you may need to rejet your carbs when changing them.
Well you are just going to have to explain to me why I constantly hear the bikes that are two to three vehicles behind me..even though they are not rapping the throttle;)

Loud Pipes Save Lives is at best a half truth.. there have been plenty of times when a good blast of throttle has brought a distracted driver back to the reality of the situation at hand, but I am already in evasive mode at that point anyway..again.. skill and awareness trump gear and pipes any day!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well you are just going to have to explain to me why I constantly hear the bikes that are two to three vehicles behind me..even though they are not rapping the throttle;)

Loud Pipes Save Lives is at best a half truth.. there have been plenty of times when a good blast of throttle has brought a distracted driver back to the reality of the situation at hand, but I am already in evasive mode at that point anyway..again.. skill and awareness trump gear and pipes any day!
thats because youve been riding longer than i have been alive, you perk up when you hear one coming because you speak motorcycle and the two of you are communicating.

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
....again.. skill and awareness trump gear and pipes any day!
..Yes, But, then..wouldn't skill and awareness AND gear and pipes be.. like.. the Monkey's P'jimmyjams? ;)

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
..Yes, But, then..wouldn't skill and awareness AND gear and pipes be.. like.. the Monkey's P'jimmyjams? ;)
Mmmm.. loud pipes may save you..may not

There are a good many dead riders that wore lids.. so that didn't work out so well for them

And.. there are those like me.. poking fate in the ass, saying I dare you to prove me wrong.. I like my odds ;) but..some need the security of those pipes and that lid.. whatever works for the individual.. I even hear some dress up like glow in the dark aliens :shock:

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I even hear some dress up like glow in the dark aliens :shock:
The Hell you say! :lol:

One guy said to me.. "If I had to look like you, I wouldn't ride a bike.." I remember that.. was one of the first things somebody said to me on this forum.. He was a good guy and didn't mean any offense.. Just the way he felt about gear is all..

Like you say, Dave.. Whatever gets two wheels under you ;)

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,009 Posts

There are a good many dead riders that wore lids.. so that didn't work out so well for them

And.. there are those like me.. poking fate in the ass, saying I dare you to prove me wrong.. I like my odds ;) but..some need the security of those pipes and that lid.. whatever works for the individual.. I even hear some dress up like glow in the dark aliens :shock:
yup

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm very tired, long drive last night, I feel like I'm in pieces!
Ride in peace! I think I got it right this time!

·
Administrator
1997 Valkyrie Standard
11,040 Posts
Thanks folks. I was starting to worry there for a while that we would not have a loud pipe saves lives discussion at all this winter. But you guys came through.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Funny, I usually wear a skid lid but that's about it really. There is a saying around these parts. A helmet is the difference between a closed casket or an open one. LOL

I gotta say. My 06 Aero, the sound... Gawd for some reason I will never change the stock pipe. The thing just sounds gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts