Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a trip to Canada and a very expensive, forced tire replacement. Here is my sad tale......

My 98 ACE needed tires a while back and Metzler had just started 120/90-17 production but they were not distributed yet. After reading MSS reviews, I opted for the Pirelli MT66 instead.

11K later, it is nearly as bald as me and the anxiety of going into the wilderness with a slick made me find a tire (ran across a great bike shop in Duncan, BC). Holy krap in the cost department, Batman ....never buy a tire up North unless you absolutely have to.

Anyway, I noted the ME880 on the rear still has about 50% tread at 11K as compared to the Pirelli. My MT66 always tracked well, even when worn but the tire guy also pointed out some carcass cracking it should not have had for our cool weather and garage storage climate. It did better than Dunlops I have owned but not by bloody friggin much.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
My brother has a set with arond 15000 on them and still look good!
Coop

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had MT66's on my Suzuki M50... I LOVED the way they rode, handled, ran in the rain, etc., but they were so soft I wondered how long they might last. The bike got killed before I had a chance to find out. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a rear MT66 put on my 1100 about a month/thousand miles ago. Really like the way it handles, just had a MT66 installed on the front today but haven't had a chance to get it out and see how much difference it makes.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
My bike eats rear tires for breakfast. Just the way it is. I ride on a lot of very rough roads and can't get the suspension tuned enough for my light weight butt to keep the tire on the pavement all the time, so I go through tires. A ME880 will last me about 8,000 miles. An IRC Wildflare ran me for about 5,000. I now have a MT66, and I'll post when I wear it out and see how it compared!

--Justin

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike eats rear tires for breakfast. Just the way it is. I ride on a lot of very rough roads and can't get the suspension tuned enough for my light weight butt to keep the tire on the pavement all the time, so I go through tires. A ME880 will last me about 8,000 miles. An IRC Wildflare ran me for about 5,000. I now have a MT66, and I'll post when I wear it out and see how it compared!

--Justin
It may not be your bike that is at fault. We have alot of chip sealed roads around here and you can almost feel them eating your tires. It is a cheap way to pave and lots of municipalities and counties use it and we end up getting our tires chewed up.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
My route66s have 5,000 on them now...
I reckon when I return from this 6,000 miles trip I`m leaving on next Friday, I`ll be ready fer new meat??? That`ll total 11,000 miles...
Maybe!!!
We`ll see...
My Metzlers got 14,000 before I felt the need to replace, BridgeStones 10,000...
We`ll see you in Sturgis,
Dennis T -8 days

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well.....I was just getting ready to buy some MT66's just because of the price difference between them and the ME880s. This is my first tire shopping experience and i have to say im ready for it to be over!

I'll probably go ahead with the MT66's. I have still heard a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well.....I was just getting ready to buy some MT66's just because of the price difference between them and the ME880s. This is my first tire shopping experience and i have to say im ready for it to be over!

I'll probably go ahead with the MT66's. I have still heard a lot of good things about them.
You'll LOVE the way they ride!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I can personally vouch with the pirellis i have been using them for a couple of months now they track well sticks to the road and way better than the stock tires not to mention they are priced just right. You can replace the front and the back tire for a cost of one metzler back tire just my .02 cents

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
You can replace the front and the back tire for a cost of one metzler back tire just my .02 cents >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HUH???
I ain`t fount them that cheap noWhere!!!
Give up your source!!!
Dennis
Sturgis Run=One week away

1 - 12 of 12 Posts