Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so pissed right now at them!
About 2 weeks ago, I dropped my QR backrest off my garage stairs onto my tank and put a good gouge in the paint....ugh, so I get the 3 pens (primer, color, and clearcoat) from Color Rite.
On my first attempt, I put 8 or so coats on, giving about an hour or two min between coats. Their instructions said 15-20 minutes, but longer is better, riiiight? I was also doing it in my 50-55F basement. Anyways, when I put the clearcoat on, the black came off onto the clear pen after waiting 36 hrs or so (they said 24 or more). WTF?
I call them and the guy says 55 degrees is too low. OK, I can understand that, althouth THERE'S NOTHING ABOUT TEMPERATURE ANYWHERE ON THE INSTRUCTIONS...
So, I take the paint off & try again at 70 degrees, again giving an hour min between coats-sometimes overnite (5 or 6 more coats), but I have a bad feeling, so I call them back. NOW I'M INFORMED TO ONLY WAIT UP TO 30 MIN MAX BETWEEN COATS SO THE PAINT DOESN'T CURE IN BETWEEN? Also to paint between 70 & 80 degrees.... NOT ON THE INSTRUCTIONS, AGAIN, FELLAS!
I'm so mad I could spit. I'm going to wait 2 days and try the clearcoat AGAIN. After that, off to a body shop and I'm mailing their frigging paint and the corrected instructions back to them!! The pens are the perfect size for them to shove 'em up their......
If you're a newbie, heed my warnings...All my research on the internet did not say either of these things...except 1 site said 50 degrees was OK for touchup with pens..and nothing about waiting only a minimum of time between coats. Sh1t

·
Banned
956 Posts
Auto paint is a wonderfull with flash times and all sorts of crap. Temp is always a huge factor. That is why I as a retard use Dupli Color Paint Shop series paint. No recoat window, much easier to use. Sorry you had such issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts