Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
VT1100 bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 1988 VT1100 and on the first ride noticed the lack of power, plus the mid range flat spot. The engine was getting very hot and when I stopped the idle was rough. Just had the carbs cleaned and set up, but the bike still feels like a piston is dropping out every now and then. The next thing I’m going to do is check the coils. Everyone tells me these engines are bullet proof, so I don’t want to go straight in with an engine rebuild. Anybody have any advice for me??

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,313 Posts
You believe your bike is misfiring correct? If I suspect a misfire I hook up an inductive timing light and watch to see if the light has any abnormal flickers. This will at least narrow you down to which cylinder the problem is on. I suspect either a defective plug, plug wire or possibly a coil but it could be caused by intermittent fueling as well.

·
Registered
VT1100 bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You believe your bike is misfiring correct? If I suspect a misfire I hook up an inductive timing light and watch to see if the light has any abnormal flickers. This will at least narrow you down to which cylinder the problem is on. I suspect either a defective plug, plug wire or possibly a coil but it could be caused by intermittent fueling as well.
I’m waiting on some new coils coming so I can change them out. All 4 plugs are new and I’ve just replaced one of the caps as well. I’ve got good fuel to both carbs, as seen when I was getting them cleaned. It still rides rough though and drops a piston every now and again. I’m hoping it’s just the coils that now need replacing and not a piston rebuild.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not so much the piston, but the head(s). When I started my project, my front cylinder was VERY reluctant to fire. Played with the carbs, and no-go. So out came the engine. I didn’t really ‘do’ anything to it, just disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt according to the manual. Once back together, it fired up and ran much better. More tweaking of the carbs, and it runs much more consistently now.

·
Registered
VT1100 bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not so much the piston, but the head(s). When I started my project, my front cylinder was VERY reluctant to fire. Played with the carbs, and no-go. So out came the engine. I didn’t really ‘do’ anything to it, just disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt according to the manual. Once back together, it fired up and ran much better. More tweaking of the carbs, and it runs much more consistently now.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I’ll do the coils first and then see how it goes. I’ve never took an engine out before so should be interesting.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
Don't do anything to the engine without proof it is needed.
A compression test is first then a leak down test if it is low.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
VT1100 bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve only had it running while in the garage. With the performance issues I thought I’d change the coils as well. So I’m yet to get it back out on a run, hopefully by the end of the week it will be on the road again. It felt like a running lean problem to start with............ hot engine and misfire. As soon as I receive the coils I will get them in and road test again.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,634 Posts
A couple tanks with a 1/2 can of Seafoam/Berry B12/Techtron.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts