Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Magna VF700C
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been slowly chipping away at 2 project bikes - 86 VT500C and 84 VF700C. I’m getting close to having them rideable and it’s time to fix the brakes. On both of these bikes the pistons are frozen inside the calipers - won’t budge. Oddly I can move the brake lever in and out with no problem. Question is - any tips on getting these pistons out of the calipers so I can rebuild them? Heat? PB Blaster? Soak it in something?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Have you taken the brake calipers off the discs? After that, the usual method is to remove the brake pads and pump the brake lever which hydraulically extracts the pistons from their bores.

On both of these bikes the pistons are frozen inside the calipers - won’t budge.
  • Oddly I can move the brake lever in and out with no problem.

Have the pistons pushed the pads flush with the disc? Are you able to post a pic?

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
If the calipers are disconnected from the system, just hit them with a little compressed air. Just put a board or something in front of them to catch the pistons.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I stumble across this method on YouTube, here. It's a last resort option, well, asides using a torch.

·
Registered
1984 Magna VF700C
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you taken the brake calipers off the discs? After that, the usual method is to remove the brake pads and pump the brake lever which hydraulically extracts the pistons from their bores.

Have the pistons pushed the pads flush with the disc? Are you able to post a pic?
I should’ve taken a pic. The calipers are off the disc and I took the pads out. Pistons are completely ceased and nearly all the way in. Pumping the brakes doesn’t move the pistons at all. I tried the push the pistons all the way in just with a large pair of pliers - no movement.

·
Registered
16,927 Posts
Spray Tap Spray Tap...
You mention PB, that`s what I`m talking about > Spray...
Tap? with a light hammer with a cushioning device between it & the piston...
I UNstick MANY Things here on the Farm by using this method...
I let it set overnite after spraying too, depending on how stuck/rusted/jammed or whatever > sometimes it takes DAYS!!!

I haven`t had to leave one stuck,
Dennis

Be patient

1 - 7 of 7 Posts