Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody knows where the good place to ride in Portland area ? where can we find nice curves ?
I do know some places like NW Cornelius Pass Rd from Hillsboro to US 30 or NW Mc Namee Road to US 30. I used to take them to go to Sauvie Island. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Old Columbia highway outside Troutdale takes you along 84E, two lanes, falls on one side. WA14 on the other side of the river is a nice ride as well. Again 2 lanes, gorge on one side. Both are nice leisurely rides, OC is the slower of the 2, mainly 40 mph or so. WA14 is a bit quicker, but you can make it as long as you like. Last Friday I took the long way home, Portland out to Hood River, crossed over and came back on the WA. side. Just 'cuz.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yah, I remember that. I saw the pic in your signature and it brought me back the time I drove my family to those falls over there (I used car at that time). That's a great one right there. Nice curves and views.
Thank you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The road up to Larch Moutain has some nice turns in it. Or you can take 224 out of Clackamas and head out past Estecada.

You meant E Faraday Rd out Estecada, right ? I've been there once for fishing. Nice road :wink:

·
Registered
322 Posts
You meant E Faraday Rd out Estecada, right ? I've been there once for fishing. Nice road :wink:
Yep, the loop around to Detroit is paved but there are routes that have various number of miles that are graveled such as heading towards Timothy lake. Use google maps or google earth to check the routes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of the kitchen table FFLs I use lives in Gaston, which is just gorgeous country not far from Beaverton. Fields and vineyards with plenty of sloping hills and small town pace of life.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Anybody knows where the good place to ride in Portland area ? where can we find nice curves ?
I do know some places like NW Cornelius Pass Rd from Hillsboro to US 30 or NW Mc Namee Road to US 30. I used to take them to go to Sauvie Island. :mrgreen:
This is sort of my daily commute.
I take Marine Drive to the Expo and then through St Johns, and then up Germantown road to Hillsboro.

A couple of rides I would recommend.

One is definitely the gorge on the old Highway. Take it out of Portland all the way to the end (Ainsworth) and then cross the Columbia at the Bridge of the Gods and head back Hwy 14. At the Bridge of the Gods you can buy Smoked Salmon from the Indian tribes for $10 a pound (usually you can bargain 3 pounds for $25).

Another would be up the Clackamas River and then take the backroad to Timothy Lake. There's a few miles that are gravel but I did it OK on Clyde. Then you can tool around at the Lake before heading out the Hwy 26 way and then up to Timberline Lodge for a quick detour. Hwy 26 is pretty nice for a main thoroughfare. Usually not too crowded but if it gets to you then you can turn at the West end of Sandy and head down towards the old Rosalyn lake area. It's a really nice ride.

Those are two big loops.
If you want an out and back, take a ride to Mt St Helens or down through Canby to Silver Falls....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another would be up the Clackamas River and then take the backroad to Timothy Lake. There's a few miles that are gravel but I did it OK on Clyde. Then you can tool around at the Lake before heading out the Hwy 26 way and then up to Timberline Lodge for a quick detour. Hwy 26 is pretty nice for a main thoroughfare. Usually not too crowded but if it gets to you then you can turn at the West end of Sandy and head down towards the old Rosalyn lake area. It's a really nice ride.

Not safe this time of year..... I rip down that road in my F150 like a mad man as I head for my favorite fishing holes.... Winter Steelhead is running now.

It is a nice ride though. The loops you describe are nice 1/2-3/4 day rides and fairly easy for most riders.

A good 8 hour ride would be to take 26 through Goverment Camp and head to Maupin then over to Fossil, drop down to Bend and cross through Sisters towards Salem. Quite a few road choices, some easy and some have curves that would give a snake back pains but plenty of views.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.