Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to Pigeon Forge Tenn. in June. We're going to rent a cabin down there. I'm going to trailer the bike from home to Tenn then hope to head over to the Tail of the Dragon. I'm looking for any advice on cabin rentals and tips for riding to the Tail from Pigeon Forge. Also any other destinations or roads to take/avoid. I'm looking at going in the first week in June.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
sounds like a Cool Trip, Enjoy the Dragon ! :)

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I'm planning a trip to Pigeon Forge Tenn. in June. We're going to rent a cabin down there. I'm going to trailer the bike from home to Tenn then hope to head over to the Tail of the Dragon. I'm looking for any advice on cabin rentals and tips for riding to the Tail from Pigeon Forge. Also any other destinations or roads to take/avoid. I'm looking at going in the first week in June.
just the name of the spot sounds fun, i'd love to go to Pigeon Forge and ride the dragon. sounds like a really great trip :-o

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are so many routes to ride that it will take more than one trip to get em' all. I'll be going back this July. We did the dragon 11 times I think, its so short and fun...we just rode it a few times each day. Cherohala Skyway is a good ride. Here are some photos of some routes. I kept the maps for future rides.

We stayed at the Dragon Pitt BBQ & INN. It was inexpensive and nice. Great owners. They'll sit on the porch and talk to you for hours, show you good rides to take, etc.. This was right on the Dragon too. We opted out of staying in a cabin because a lot of them have mud/dirt/gravel roads. We also stayed away form pigeon forge and Gatlinburg. They have horrific traffic for motorcycle ride. Bumper to bumper of familes with kids wanting to ride go carts and bungie jump.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
we go to pigeon forge a few times a year. its about 140 miles from me a lot of good motorcycle roads in the area. if you get a cabin ask them if the road to it is motorcycle friendly some cabins are up in the mountains. one ride we like is from pigeon forge to townsend turn left to the park then up the mountain great views.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Enjoy the trip and the ride Pigeon Forge is really nice that time if the year. Watch out for the cage's looking around they are everywhere and not paying attention. Enjoy and be safe

·
Registered
57 Posts
We also stayed away form pigeon forge and Gatlinburg. They have horrific traffic for motorcycle ride. Bumper to bumper of familes with kids wanting to ride go carts and bungie jump.
Probably the best advice so far. You never know how bad it will be. It might be a nightmare or no problem at all. I love a nice Harley but I feel for those guys stuck in that traffic with those things getting hotter and hotter and hotter...

I live within 3 hours so we go from time to time, but we never go in the summer or during the fall leaf season any more. It was great the weekend before Christmas!

PS. This doesn't apply to the OP, but another time to avoid Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is any weekend that the University of Tennessee plays football at home. This often overlaps the aforementioned fall leaf season, and before and after it.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Which sounds more quaint?:

1. Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
or
2. Apache Junction, Arizona

i vote for Pigeon Forge ... lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are so many good rides in that area. Please don't focus on The Tail Of The Dragon so much that you ignore all the good roads that are very close by, and in my opinion, far more fun. I hope to go back this year, and if I don't set a tire on Deal's Gap, I'll be okay with that. Sure, go ride it. Get a t-shirt. Buy some pictures. But don't put miss out on everything else out there.

Just as importantly as riding, Bennett's BBQ in Gatlinburg and Alamo Steakhouse in Pigeon Forge are great food. Wear sweatpants for max enjoyment.

Now for the riding stuff. Just for starters, here are some recommendations:

Foothills Parkway

TN 73/Little River Road

Check out the rocks sticking out over the road a little bit:

Cherohala Skyway

NC 28

Blue Ridge Parkway

US 441 (the NC side at least, and the TN side if it has been repaired)

This is 441 creeping down the picture towards the bottom.

It's hard to not have a good time up there. It is very touristy, which draws tourists, so just be mentally prepared. Still very possible to have a good time. Bring back lots of pictures, and videos if you can!

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
There are so many good rides in that area. Please don't focus on The Tail Of The Dragon so much that you ignore all the good roads that are very close by, and in my opinion, far more fun. I hope to go back this year, and if I don't set a tire on Deal's Gap, I'll be okay with that. Sure, go ride it. Get a t-shirt. Buy some pictures. But don't put miss out on everything else out there.

Just as importantly as riding, Bennett's BBQ in Gatlinburg and Alamo Steakhouse in Pigeon Forge are great food. Wear sweatpants for max enjoyment.

Now for the riding stuff. Just for starters, here are some recommendations:

Foothills Parkway

TN 73/Little River Road

Check out the rocks sticking out over the road a little bit:

Cherohala Skyway

NC 28

Blue Ridge Parkway

US 441 (the NC side at least, and the TN side if it has been repaired)

This is 441 creeping down the picture towards the bottom.

It's hard to not have a good time up there. It is very touristy, which draws tourists, so just be mentally prepared. Still very possible to have a good time. Bring back lots of pictures, and videos if you can!
Beautiful Pics!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick update. I just returned from Pigeon Forge/gatlinburg. Unfortunately, I couldn't take the bike as I am still recovering from a snowmobile accident. I did ride the Tail of the Dragon but had to do so in my car. It was still wild. Other honourable mentions go to the Foothills Parkway, and the trip out to Townsend. Probably some of the nicest roads to ride that I will ever experience. Traffic was a breeze down there. The people were super friendly and we will be returning in the fall /16. I have some pics to upload and will post as soon as I can. A well done for the state of Tennessee.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Wife and I have plans to spend a week there in July. Unfortunately it will be with out the bike though. I've been trying to hint that we can rent a bike for a day. She said maybe....not no....but maybe. I'll take that. Fingers crossed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts