Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Dodge a few years back, and I was given an "emergency" ignition key that was the size of a credit card, and you could keep it in your wallet. Has anyone seen something similar for bikes?

I think the plastic key was a dealer only thing, because I don't recall seeing it at any hardware stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Wassup said:
I think the plastic key was a dealer only thing, because I don't recall seeing it at any hardware stores.
I haven't seen them for bikes, but we used to cut them for cars at the True Value Hardware I worked at in the 90's. I was never too fond of them - a little too flimsy. We sold very few of them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lang said:
Wassup said:
I think the plastic key was a dealer only thing, because I don't recall seeing it at any hardware stores.
I was never too fond of them - a little too flimsy. We sold very few of them
I would agree, but if they work even 1 time, just enough to start the bike and get you home, it might be worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I'd be a little wary. My drivers license (with my home address) would happen to be right next to my spare key. If I ever lost my wallet, I would essentially be inviting criminals to my home, with a key for my bike!!! Granted, what are the chances of losing your wallet. I'm sure the chances of it ending up and unscrupulous hands are even lower. But those are still chances I wouldn't want to take.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
two_wheeler_healer said:
I'd be a little wary. My drivers license (with my home address) would happen to be right next to my spare key. If I ever lost my wallet, I would essentially be inviting criminals to my home, with a key for my bike!!! Granted, what are the chances of losing your wallet. I'm sure the chances of it ending up and unscrupulous hands are even lower. But those are still chances I wouldn't want to take.
Good point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,978 Posts
Wassup said:
I had a Dodge a few years back, and I was given an "emergency" ignition key that was the size of a credit card, and you could keep it in your wallet. Has anyone seen something similar for bikes?

I think the plastic key was a dealer only thing, because I don't recall seeing it at any hardware stores.
For the motorcycle I just went to a locksmith and had him make/duplicate a flat key that I carry in my wallet (cause it is pure hell when on a ride and can't find your key) I also had one made for my LL's, these fit the wallet just as good as the plastic ones (which I have for my two cages) and got them from CSAA. :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
I used to have one for my car, several years ago.

I never had a problem with them being too flimsy.
The one I got had a piece of fairly sturdy strap metal
down through it and it was decently rigid.

I've been looking for one again, but I've never seen them sold again.
The one I had was in the 90's as well.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top