Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Spirit 750, I had not been bike shopping for years. My old ride, an 88 VLX, had a plastic rear fender and side covers but the rest was metal. After I got the 750 I was amazed at how much plastic is on the bike. Front fender, clutch cover, speedometer bezel, even the valve covers! Gotta say I haven't warmed up to the concept so far.

I'm curious, what are your opinions, if you have a similar amount of plastic on your ride? better because it's lighter? Is it as durable as metal? (there are already 3 stone dings in my plastic chrome). Are the other models, like the 1100 and 1300 similarly plasticized? Do you think this is a smart direction for Honda, given that other brands use real steel as a selling point?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've only had one other bike so I can't comment on the like or dislike of plastic but the answer to part of one of your questions, the VTX1300 is also mostly plastic.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If everything were metal then it would weigh as much as a Harley and be half as fast!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Fortunately mine is old enough to still be Made mostly from Metals. Most things ARE mostly plastic, these days.... Have you been in a Car or truck in the last 20 years???? You think bikes would be treated differently????

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
They already do weigh as much or more to an equivelent Harley,ie. SPORTSTER. The ONLY comparable Harley, unless you are talking VTX.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hate it! :mad:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You can't tell it's plastic in most cases until you tap it. Still just knowing it was there would probably bug me some. Luckily my bike is pretty much void of it.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
If everything were metal then it would weigh as much as a Harley

Haha, please get real... VTX1300 dry weight 679lb, Dyna superglide dry weight 650.4lb.

I hate the plastic obsession from Honda. But I'm not brand loyal when it comes to plastic.

I hate that triumph Bonneville fenders are plastic too...

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Hmm, lets think about this....

Plastic.

Light weight
Very durable
Able to withstand being deformed
Inexpensive
Easy to repair
Resists denting

Steel.

Heavier than plastic
Prone to rust
Will not spring back when deformed
Expensive (relative to plastic)
Not fixable by the average backyard wrench
Easily dented

There are applications where steel is better the plastic, but not very many. If everything on my Venture that is plastic was steel, the bike would be too heavy to move under its own power.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts

Plastic.

Light weight
Very durable
Able to withstand being deformed
Inexpensive
Easy to repair
Resists denting

Steel.

Heavier than plastic
Prone to rust
Will not spring back when deformed
Not fixable by the average backyard wrench
Easily dented

There are applications where steel is better the plastic, but not very many. If everything on my Venture that is plastic was steel, the bike would be too heavy to move under its own power.
+1 I think people are bothered by the "thought" of plastic being "cheap"....till they realize it's benefits far outweigh the counterpart.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I'm with Tom and Gat, plastic is better all round.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Some things should just not be made out of plastic like valve covers. Others things like hard bags make perfect sense to be make of plastic. I think what most riders don't like is what I'd call "counterfeit metal parts"....stuff that is made to look like metal, but turns out to be plastic like the chrome valve covers on the Shadow 750 that were mentioned by the OP.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I am a metal guy myself. My Valk is mostly metal.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts

Plastic.

Light weight Ever lifted a steel fender? not that heavy.
Very durable if your saying that it doesn't rust than yes, it will however wear with friction and crack
Able to withstand being deformed provided it doesn't crack
Inexpensive Bingo. Main reason it exists on bikes
Easy to repair really? I really dont think its easier than metal repairs.
Resists denting cracks

Steel.

Heavier than plastic again, granted, but not by much
Prone to rust granted
Will not spring back when deformed but doesnt' crack
Not fixable by the average backyard wrench neither are plastic repairs
Easily dented easily? dents are easy to fix. cracks are not.

I'm biased because I feel metal repairs are easier, and paint lasts better on metal than on plastic.

Your obviously biased as well on the other side.

·
Registered
790 Posts
and paint lasts better on metal than on plastic.
I'm a little doubtful of this. On my 97 Nighthawk, the tank was metal and the rest of the body panels were plastic. The paint on the plastic parts looked to be wearing much better than that on the tank.

Personally, I couldn't care less what the parts are made of. As long as they look good and do what they were made to do, then what does it matter?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the thoughts. Mostly great stuff, good to see some different points of view on it, and I feel a little better now about my plastibike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It scathes way to easy just found another one on the front fender but i love riding it everyday so i will get over it if i get it repainted down the road will see if more clear coats makes a bit of difference good post!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts