Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been throwin' around some visual ideas in PS and came up with a couple so far. The blackout treatment and rat-rod looks I really dig. With the rat-rod look, I would add in some red & white striping of some sort (no ideas yet). I'm also not really good at blending in PS, so it still looks two-tone. It's all just thought right now, but I'd love some opinions to add to my creativity. :-D My idea is to remain pretty inexpensive and more than likely I'll be painting stuff myself (aka: rattlecan job). The whitewalls at this point would be the most of the expenditure (wifey's already gonna have a fit, but she does like 'em). :lol:

Blackout:

Rat-Rod:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
looks sweet both ways. i like the second one better though.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
I could not choose if I had to. They both are bad ass, I like the 1st one, but maybe the chrome motor on it...just thinking, it would be my pick then!
Coop

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your support and compliments! :-D

I really like the second one.
And they do sell tire paint.
Yeah, but I've never used it and I've heard good and bad things about them, such as turning brown and cracking. Anybody have experience with this or product recommendations?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I really dig the first one, but you've gotta break up the black that's in the motor. FULL black is just too much. You need a good secondary color to blend in. I was going to paint mine flat black, but a friend convinced me to make black the secondary color on my bike because flat doesn't show off the curves as good as a good gloss (preference, but I decided to go with something else).

I went with the darkest charcoal I could find. I kinda wish it was darker, but I'm happy with the results. The motor was flaking and just looked rough, so I painted it flat black. All the chrome plastic pieces got removed and painted with the gunmetal/charcoal. The black of the motor and the gray from the exhaust wrap pulls it all together imo. Maybe it can give you some ideas of what to keep chrome and what to paint.

Oh yeah, I took off those red reflectors today and replaced them with some big black metric allen head bolts. To make that accessory not stand out so much.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Acidbath666, even though I had been thinking about it before, your bike kinda got my mind rollin' on the idea. :wink: The engine looks great and the exhaust wrap adds a nice touch. What procedure & product did you go through in roughing up the chrome prior to paint? The problem with my first choice above is that there is a LOT of chrome. :shock: And with my second idea, I'm so hesitant to sand down a really nice paint finish already. But, I do prefer the rat-rod style myself, and this is only a generic beginning for my to build on.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Acidbath666, even though I had been thinking about it before, your bike kinda got my mind rollin' on the idea. :wink: The engine looks great and the exhaust wrap adds a nice touch. What procedure & product did you go through in roughing up the chrome prior to paint? The problem with my first choice above is that there is a LOT of chrome. :shock: And with my second idea, I'm so hesitant to sand down a really nice paint finish already. But, I do prefer the rat-rod style myself, and this is only a generic beginning for my to build on.
I'm gonna pm you some other stuff I've done. Because I don't wanna ***** up your thread with stuff that I've done and to keep it on topic to what you're doing. But the cliff notes for reference for others that might look at this thread in the future, I'm using some 400-600 grit sandpaper and some thick steel wool to grit the plastic up. It doesn't have to strip down the mirror finish or anything, just has to scratch up the surface enough to give the primer something to adhere to.

The paint I'm using is Duplicolor Perfect Match. They have it at Autozone, but I've found that Pep Boys has almost three times the selection that the Zone has.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oh yeah, also consider vinyl. I do vinyl work on the side and I'm thinking about putting a thick a$$ black stripe down the middle similar to what you've got in the 1st one.
A lot of the GTI guys on another forum I'm on do a carbon fiber or black wrap on the hood. They'll just lay out some vinyl on it and it comes out looking pretty sick.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is a guy with an 1100 Aero whose bike looks like your second picture. All satin black with the red rims. It looks great. Your first option looks really good and seems original too.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok, wifey got involved :shock: and is a fan of the old military bikes. I suck at PS but here's the idea with it being 'flat' olive drab and a brown leather seat. As for blacking out some of the chrome, I don't know yet as I like the contrast. Might do the black exhaust wrap similar to Acidbath666's though (thanks for the IM Acid ... or is it Mr. 666?). Plus side is not needing white walls as I think it would look a bit funny. Down side is that it's a Jap bike and would have an American theme as I'm inspired to put a white star on the tank and fading it out to the rear of the tank (so you'd really only see the front half of the star clearly). I need more persuasive opinions, so keep'em comin'! Thanks guys/gals!

(1) Military inspired:

(2) Rat-rod inspired:

(3) Blacked-out stock inspired:

·
Registered
161 Posts
love the rat rod one, looks like my 57 Buick tires.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sooooo, I've begun. I am still not 100% sure what I'm going to do. However, my boy loves the rat-rod look (so do I). I darkened the red on the rims in PS and it looks better. My wife said it looked like a clown bike, :lol: ! I am decided against the olive drab solely because it's not an American bike and to me it would be sacreligeous :sad: . Not sure of a time frame, but here goes ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts