Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sorry Honda Family, but I have been a bad boy and think I may be turning to the Dark Side. :oops:

I have been looking at pics and checked out the web on the new XVS1300A V-Star. :shock: :?

Sorry but I REALLY like this bike. In Black it looks SO NICE. And you all know how much I like Black bikes. 8)

But don't panic just yet. The good wife has already slapped me out of the trance, by refusing to fund my dream. Suppose I will just have to keep dreaming a bit longer. :(

·
Registered
942 Posts
I looked at a red one and fell in love, it was going to be my next ride until I found out it didn't have hydualic lifters. The maintenance book calls for having the lifters checked every 4000 miles. But is sure is purty. :D

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
aussieron said:
I am so sorry Honda Family, but I have been a bad boy and think I may be turning to the Dark Side. :oops:

I have been looking at pics and checked out the web on the new XVS1300A V-Star. :shock: :?

Sorry but I REALLY like this bike. In Black it looks SO NICE. And you all know how much I like Black bikes. 8)

But don't panic just yet. The good wife has already slapped me out of the trance, by refusing to fund my dream. Suppose I will just have to keep dreaming a bit longer. :(
Go ahead. It's a better bike than any comparable Honda, in build quality and in performance. The VTX has marginally better looks, but buying on looks alone is stupid. I used to bleed Honda red. Now I trickle it. I'm way, way less brand-centric than I used to be.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been lusting after the Royalstar version of that bike... with the windshield and sissybar taken off, its so sweet looking... :p :twisted:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Bigguy2x said:
I looked at a red one and fell in love, it was going to be my next ride until I found out it didn't have hydualic lifters. The maintenance book calls for having the lifters checked every 4000 miles. But is sure is purty. :D
I bumped into a guy early last spring who had bought a V-Star and he told me he traded it back on another bike at the first service that included checking the valves because the dealer handed him a bill for close to $2k. He told me they have to pull the whole engine out to check the valves. Don't know how factual that is, but its what he said.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I have always liked the V Star and also the Boulevard. When and if I upgrade its going to come down to a VTX 1300 or 1800, a Star or the Boulevard. I like all three of them. Of course I haven't ridden any of these bikes so would have to test ride them all before buying one. I have no idea how any of them handle.

Chris

·
Registered
942 Posts
rmw said:
I bumped into a guy early last spring who had bought a V-Star and he told me he traded it back on another bike at the first service that included checking the valves because the dealer handed him a bill for close to $2k. He told me they have to pull the whole engine out to check the valves. Don't know how factual that is, but its what he said.
That's why I decided to look at another brand. This is one of my choices now

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Sooooo.....Ron, your mate, Mick hasn't let you try the V-Strom yet I see. :wink:

You should switch bikes with him for a day and give that bad-boy a try.....

Much more comfortable than a cruiser and about 10 times more fun to ride. You think it - it goes there.....and I am sure with a sharp twist of the right grip you could raise the front wheel right up and over one of those fabled 'roos, should one return from extinction, and jump out in front of you. :lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
ron - thats not an impure thought at all!

i thought you were going to tell us you like your car better! :wink:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude I thought it was all about the ride not the brand.My next bike will be a Tourer. Something fr loooong distance.Like maybe a Wing.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
rmw said:
Bigguy2x said:
I heard horror stories like that as well.
Like changing the oil filter requiring either a mod or major removals.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
mountain bike mike said:
Lisa said:
You know you'd always be welcome here, no matter what you ride!
cheers!

i don't have my shadow anymore and i can't stay away.
I'm still not over it :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
AngryHatter said:
rmw said:
Bigguy2x said:
I heard horror stories like that as well.
Like changing the oil filter requiring either a mod or major removals.
These are the things I like to know before buying a bike. :shock: I do the work myself and don't need extra aggrevation, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay big bucks to someone else to do it. Same with cars that need the engine shifted to change the rear spark plugs!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Three simple letters: VTX 8)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fossil (not) said:
Three simple letters: VTX 8)
I agree with you Fossil, I also like the VTX. :D

Only problem is we get 1 model to pick from, thats right just 1 and 1 color. Plus it has spokes, and i am so over spokes man, and no fuel injection. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
rmw said:
Bigguy2x said:
WOW! That is way off. I am a v star 650 owner and i know firsthand. Checking the valves on this bike can be done in under 2 hours! Its so simple to do. The tank has to come off, and the air ducting underneath w/carbs. Once those are off, you have access to the tappet covers. As for the oil, the 650's don't need exhaust removal to do the filter. Its behind an access cover on the right side. This has been an awesome bike, with very low maintenance. I checked the valves at 4k for the first time and they were right in the middle of the specs. It is for the most part very easy to work on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts