Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i can't get a straight answer, I have a 1984 Honda shadow vt700. Im trying to fix this bike up. its ran good but the baterie wont charge.

it came down to the stator being bad so while taking off the crank case to get the stator there was oil in it,

Should i have Oil with my Stator ? inside the crank casing. Im hearing way to many differnt storys rather there should be or not,

There is a fine cut hole in the casing that i taken picture of and hope maybe it'll help slove this,

Attachments

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Nobody else wrote, so yes, there is oil under that cover. There's a hole between the crankcase and that engine case that allows oil to splash in to keep the starter gears lubed. Oil is not pumped into that space, but not prevented either. It's common to have a few ounces of oil come out when you pop that cover off. Something is wrong if the entire bike drains out though!

--Justin

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If the stator is bad the rectifier will be also. 1 ALWAYS takes out the other.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If the stator is bad the rectifier will be also. 1 ALWAYS takes out the other.
Not ALWAYS! I've had many where the stator failed and simply replacing it fixed the problem. However, I've had a few times where replacing the stator with one rated for higher output blows the OEM rectifier later on.

I've seen more bad rectifiers kill stators than bad stators killing rectifiers. If your stator is bad, always test the r/r before replacing it. It may be that the bad r/r is what took the stator out in the first place.

You can test the r/r. Test before replacing. However, if you replace the stator with an Electrosport or some other brand that puts out more power, save yourself a long walk home in the future by replacing the rectifier with an Electrosport unit as well. Or better yet, get a MOSFET unit as they run cooler and more efficiently at a worthwhile additional cost.

--Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.