Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I hate to be asking for more advice from this site but better this than screw up my bike. I have had my bike sitting for a 3weeks now(time went quick) and have started it up and let it idle for a while once a week, well a week ago I went to start it and ride it to get everything moving and after idling for 5mins it began to sputter and then died. It had a full tank of gas and fairly new plugs and wouldnt start after that, I could hear the starter motor so I know that was ok. I first replaced the plugs since this has often been the problem and I charged the battery. Once done the engine started after a couple cranks but is now running rough. If I give it any gas it dies, and will only idle for a few minutes before dying. The battery is barely a year old, so I am pretty sure this is not it. I am certain the plugs are gapped properly since I have done it consistently the same(although i am going to check it) One thing I did was put my hands at the back of the pipes and on pipe had warm air spitting out, and one cool. So none or little spark in the one. Any ideas or has anyone experienced the same thing. I immediately turned my bike off as I do not want to cause any damage to my bike. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just taking a shot here...

Have you replaced all 4 plugs or only two?

If you have replaced all 4, you may want to drain the gas tank, add some sea foam and refill. It will take a short while of running for the sea foam to get to the carbs.

It could be something else, but at least it's something to start with. It wouldnt hurt to see if you have a spark from both coils too.

Mark

·
Registered
76 Posts
"One thing I did was put my hands at the back of the pipes and one pipe had warm air spitting out, and one cool."

is this normal??? i have the same thing when i start my bike up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just letting it idle all the time is the worst thing you can do. Either ride it or store it and not start it.

Plugs are probably fouled. Replace all 4 or if you can hop on the bike and give it a good beating, this may clear the fouled plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sputtering

Mine just did the same thing and i found that the back cylinder had no fire checked the connections at the rear mag and from the factory wasnt plugged up correctly. Pull the wires off the bottom of the mag for the rear cylinder if this is the one that is misfiring and check the terminal inside the rubber boot if it is crooked in the rubber pull it out and reconnect the wires and see what you get.

Keep the shiny side up and ride safe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced all four plugs. For the longest time I thought it only had the two plugs since that is the only wires I have ever seen. And when buying my plugs no one has ever corrected me, until this last time when I bought plugs the guy told me. I have had the bike since it was new and it has a 10,500 miles so for this long only half the plugs have ever been replaced now all four are new and I checked the gap tonight and noticed only one has noticble firing characteristics. The other 3 are clean and saturated with fuel. Plugs go bad since the load of new plugs or what? Please help so I dont have to look like an idiot towing my bike into the dealership for something I can fix

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can check the connections to your coils and unplug/replug the ignition control module. I doubt that it's the coil itself because they are pretty reliable, but that wouldnt be impossible.

Hope you find the problem!
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all plugs are good and am getting spark

Okay, I took a good plug and checked that it worked against the plug I knew was getting spark and it indeed had spark. I then checked all other plugs and saw spark. I then took that plug and placed it into a cylinder and took the plug from that spot and checked it for spark. I continued this until all plugs that are in my bike were verified to work. Still running rough though and eventually dies. My next step will be to drain all the fuel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds more like a leaking needle valve in the carb...if it leaks, the float bowl eventually overfills and drowns the motor....what model are we talking about? how many carbs?...age?...good luck...Mick

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think it's just bad gas. Drain and refill. Add Seafoam if it still runs poorly and run that tank through it. If it still runs poorly after that tank then you may need to clean the carbs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I have drained the tank put cleaner through it and refilled still nothing..took tank and all air intake parts to reveal the both carbs...put carb cleaner and drained all bowls still nothing....this week I am replacing fuel filter...anything else I am missing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I have drained the tank put cleaner through it and refilled still nothing..took tank and all air intake parts to reveal the both carbs...put carb cleaner and drained all bowls still nothing....this week I am replacing fuel filter...anything else I am missing

·
Registered
42 Posts
when it is running can you throttle the bike up at all?if not try leaving the choke on then throttle it up..if that works you have a carb problem..seafoam will help alot but i also use small amounts of dexron 3 transmission fluid in small amounts has kept my carbs clean for 4 years now..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it doesnt run at all unless I am throwing carb cleaner into it, or if I actually put gas in the bowls. So this is telling me that gas isnt getting to my carb...Tried some fuel cleaner from autozone and new fuel. What does seafoam do different then this and where do you get it...Its an 03 750 spirit, how do I get to the jets...is a jet or the needle valve.. I am certain its the carb now...but just dont know what it is

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Obviously your not getting fuel to the carbs, so you need to do the following,

VERIFY fuel is/will flow from the petcock, (ie you have it turn it to the ON or RES position and verify fuel will flow).

Verify fuel is making it to the carb (ie the fuel pump is working). There is a fuel flow test in the Honda Service Manual for this procedure. I don't have a 750 manual but the procedure I am sure is similar.

===========================================
The directions for a 97-2003 VT1100
Fuel Pump
System Inspection Pg 19-16

Turn Ignition off
Disconnect the fuel cut--off relay connector (under the seat)
Check for battery voltage between the Black (+) terminal and ground. (-)
There should be battery voltage with the ignition switch ON
If there is no voltage, check for open circuit or loose connections in Black wire.

Check for continuity between the Black/Blue and ground, If there is continuity, faulty fuel cut-off relay.

If there is no continuity, short the Black and Black/Blue terminals at the relay connector with a suitable jumper wire.
Disconnect the fuel pump 2P (black) connector and check for battery voltage between the black/blue (+) and green (-) terminals with the ignition switch ON.
If there is battery voltage, faulty fuel pump.
If there is no battery voltage, check for open circuit or losse connection in the Black/Blue and greeen wires.

Discharge Volume Inspection Pg 19-17

Short the Black and Black/blue terminals with a suitable jumper wire.
Hold a beaker under the fuel line that goes to the carbs and turn on ignition. wait 5 seconds should come out to about 27oz / minute.

===============================================

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Probelm

My 2003 750 Spirit has a very similiar problem.

Here is what my bike is doing.

Starts and idles with no problems, I start to roll into the throttle, the bike sputters and dies out. Now what is interesting is there is a vent tube coming off of the top of the carbs, I can block this with my thumb and the bike will rev up with no issues. I can also get it to run with the choke. The bike is starving for fuel. I have a hard time believing that both carbs are clogged up but that is my next step to to pull them off and clean them.

This is what I have done so far:
- changed fuel filter
- changed all 4 spark plugs
- drianed and replaced fuel
- Checked out fuel pump
- checked out the coils... got pleanty of spark

Any suggestions?? This is killing me... this condition seem to get prgressively worse as I rode last year... I could tell the bike was staring to miss a little bit as I rode. The bike is leaning out...

Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts