Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the thing thats going on now.Oh and before you ask yes I used the search function. My bike latly has been sounding like it is running on one cylinder. Also when I try to start it first time fires right up can ride and then stop and it will crank and crank...backfire and then sometimes start. so i went on a ride today and got stranded in the next town over. Called the wife to come over and while I was waiting I took the left side cover off to check the battery. All looked well. battery looks several years old and was from Parts Unlimited...lol anyway the first set of wires on the rack were three wires going to a plug that goes down to the engine. I think it goes to the generator...it was unplugged. Wife got there and put it on the jumper cables and it started right up. took the cables off and ran it all the way home(approx 5 miles) and shut it off. tried to start it back up and nothing....I think the battery is dead. I will go out in a few min and check the voltage. I know when I was trying to start it when it wouldn't i ran it down till it clicked and the lights went out....yup that dead... so Ill go out and check that and Ill reply with the results. What do ya think though bad battery?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That appears to be an 84 or 85 VT700c (please correct me if I'm wrong), the three yellow wires are basically your alternator wires and are what supplies the power to re-charge the battery and it needs to be plugged in.

What usually happens with this plug is that it overheats and melts the plastic connector, take a close look at yours and see if the wires or plastic are burnt, when mine burnt I chopped it off and put male/female spade connectors on it although some people just solder the wires together.

Once you have the wiring fixed put the battery on a charger over night and then have it load tested, if the battery is bad and needs to be replaced if you have the 83 to 85 VT700c you will need to get the 16 amp battery not the 14 amp battery.

Which ever way you go with the battery and everything is hooked back up fire up the engine and test each yellow wire, from what I recall you should be getting about 40 volts AC (yes AC not DC) on each wire, if you have an AC clamp on amp gauge clip it around each wire (one at a time) you should be getting about the same load within 1 or 2 amps on each wire.

If one (or all) of the yellow wires is dead you will have to pull the side cover off and replace the assembly that the yellow wires go to.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Your battery is toast. It might take a charge an last for a few days, but it will leave you stranded again soon.
Check and repair the charging wires and replace the battery.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok was looking for my voltmeter but seems the kids have yet again relocated it.....so ill start the bike tomarrow and take it to my buddies shop. If nothing else he can order me a battery from interstate..and get it pretty cheap as he is a dealer so he passes the savings to me.:D I do not have a battery charger or tender so I think that I will have to let it run for awhile.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Ok was looking for my voltmeter but seems the kids have yet again relocated it.....so ill start the bike tomarrow and take it to my buddies shop. If nothing else he can order me a battery from interstate..and get it pretty cheap as he is a dealer so he passes the savings to me.:D I do not have a battery charger or tender so I think that I will have to let it run for awhile.
Your battery will not charge while sitting in your driveway idling, this is not like your cars system. I suggest picking up the new battery , installing it, and then riding to your buddies place.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not know where I can buy a battery cheap before my ride. I do not get my check untill monday.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rode it for awhile after I posted that and when I got home I shut it off and it fired right back up.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
Hopefully, the plug you fount disconnected - then reconnected, was the whole problem and you Fixed your Motorcycle...
Wonder WHY it come unplugged???
Dennis
T -8

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Here's what I can tell you from experience. Your bike will run bad below about 11.3 volt at the battery...and at 9.1 volt, it WILL NOT fire the plugs (or run):wink:.

I also recommend installing a volt meter to your bike. Kury makes on wit LED lights, I chose the Show Chrome with temp/volt/clock.. about 30-35 bucks.

Check ALL connections at battery/frame. Look at the plastic 3 wire plug.

Most important is how much voltage your battery is getting at idle and above. My 83 is 13.5 and 14.4.....however my 95 (which is getting new mosfet regulator in the next few days) is 13.1 and 12.4. The 95 will run NO accessories with this voltage (problem)...that is extra lights/radio/etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here is the skinny. I took the bike to my buddies shop today and he put it on his tester....read 14.4V idling at 1200 RPM. I shut it off and it read 12.4v with 91 Cold cranking amps. I took the battery to my local honda shop and they told me the same thing but also told me that it was compleatly dry.....really. So i tried the distilled water and a charge trick and when I put it into my bike fired right up. Ran like a champ with the occasional pop from the right tail pipe. Brought it to the store up town and shut it off after about 15 min of riding at or above 3k RPM. cranked a few times and then nothing. Lights were on and everything but not enough to crank the engine. so I got it to fire enough to get it running and took it home. Shut it off and waited a few minutes and then tried to start it again. Lights and everything is ok but no crank. Hooked the cables to the wifes car and bam! Like some form of motorcycle **** magic it started first try. So here is what I am thinking. Battery although holds voltage the CCA is shot and the charge is not the greatest. I am thinking this is most definatly time to change the battery. what do you think? Also Kingshead( or anyone that wants to chime in) If I bought a battery and put the acid in it and then jumped it to get the initial start. do you think that a 2-3 hr ride down the interstate will charge her or should I use the battery tender this weekend at my buddies house? From my house to Poplar Bluff ,MO where I am going is about 160 or so miles. I am hoping to get an answer before daybreak as I leave at about 2pm CST tomarrow. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I installed the new battery on friday. It fired right up out of the box. So I ran it for 30-45 min then stopped to get gas. Fired right back up and rode for another 2 hours. Started up fine today and rode home. thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts