Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry for beating a dead horse. I have read a bunch of threads on jetting here as well as the sticky. Still confused, some days it don't take much.

So here is what I know. I pulled the carbs off my 2003 1100 sabre because even though it was running real well with the V&H long shots, no popping at all, I am adding a K&N filter.

The current set up is as follows. The carbs have aftermarket needles. They are set to 3 groves from the top on both. The front cylinder is 175 main 42 pilot. The rear is 170 main 42 pilot.

From what I am reading a 48 pilot on both would not be unreasonable because of the pipes and filter. Not sure on the mains though or the clip setting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,465 Posts
OK, OK. My 2 cents.

Since somebody took the time to get it jetted right with what sounds like probably a Dynojet kit under some brand name (V&H?) or another, the last thing you want to do is be slapping in considerably larger pilot jets as usually recommended by the budget kit stock needle shimming folks. 42 to 48 is a huge difference and you will just be running rich at low range and your gas mileage will take a dive.

Personally I'd just install the K&N filter and see what happens.
If it is a stock replacement filter element probably not much, if any measurable difference. At least it is reusable to recoup the costs.
Maybe, could be a bit of difference at the top end and the spark plugs on a hard run plug cut could look lean, if that is the case it could benefit from one size larger main jet.

That's my take on it, see what others say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. I tend to that they 48 would be a big jump.

Any insight as to whether I should leave the needle on the 3rd from the top or move it?

Thanks
OK, OK. My 2 cents.

Since somebody took the time to get it jetted right with what sounds like probably a Dynojet kit under some brand name (V&H?) or another, the last thing you want to do is be slapping in considerably larger pilot jets as usually recommended by the budget kit stock needle shimming folks. 42 to 48 is a huge difference and you will just be running rich at low range and your gas mileage will take a dive.

Personally I'd just install the K&N filter and see what happens.
If it is a stock replacement filter element probably not much, if any measurable difference. At least it is reusable to recoup the costs.
Maybe, could be a bit of difference at the top end and the spark plugs on a hard run plug cut could look lean, if that is the case it could benefit from one size larger main jet.

That's my take on it, see what others say.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I'd leave the needle where it is, there really is no point in pre-guessing changes on such a minor intake modification that may do nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dynojet called me back today. Said with the stage one kit that is in the bike I should be fine even with the 42 pilot jet and the k&n filter. Currently the mixture screws are at 2.5 turns and she had zero deceleration pops. Throttle response was bang on as well.

Maybe I took all this apart for no reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put it all back together with the 42 pilot jets, turned out the screws to 3 turns and reinstalled the carbs with the new k&n filter.

I took it out for a small run and was having trouble with the throttle only operating about 1/3 way. Turns out the throttle mechanism was hitting one on the carb hoses and couldn't open all the way.

There was no decel pop at that point. Once I get back to the city I will take it for run with the throttle sorted and see what it says. Ran out of time yesterday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright had a great shake down run today, some wide open runs as well. Performed awesome. Zero decel pops. Even turned in the mixture screws a 1/4 turn to crispen up the throttle response.

Love this scoot! Sounds even better now with the k&n filter installed IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Alright had a great shake down run today, some wide open runs as well. Performed awesome. Zero decel pops. Even turned in the mixture screws a 1/4 turn to crispen up the throttle response.

Love this scoot! Sounds even better now with the k&n filter installed IMO.
That's what we like to hear, thanks for keeping us up to date. (-:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts