Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 honda shadow vlx 600 and love it it runs like a champ but i noticed yesterday after i rode it that the rear cylinder started makeing a ticking noise it will not make this noise unless the bike is at rideing temp and you have ridin it but the bike runs great plenty of get up ang go this bike does not smoke has brand new plugs a fresh oil change so i am wondering what it could be i hope it is nothing any advice will be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Are the new plugs firing? Are wires firmly connected? What oil? Is it low? Might be time for valve adjustment.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
so you guys think it is the valves people i have talked to say it is the piston
Thats also a possible. But why look for the catastophic failure, when a normal maintenance items is just as likely. Checking the valves is just 1 step in the diagnosis and solution to your noise. Heck is could just be an exhaust leak or debris stuck under the bike or a hose/wire flapping in the breeze or a loose spark plug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool

something else i have noticed since the noise started is at higher rpms like 3rd and 4th gear my exhaust sounds funny almost like 2 pieces of hollow wood being hit together.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
something else i have noticed since the noise started is at higher rpms like 3rd and 4th gear my exhaust sounds funny almost like 2 pieces of hollow wood being hit together.
Now that sounds like a piston/rod knock. BUT, still could just be something very minor, so don't jump to conclusions. Thorough inspection is what will tell the tale. Have had key fob do stuff like that before, spent days chasing motor problems, for a noise from a bottle opener.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That could also be your exhaust valves not seating (out of adjustment) and leaking explosion sounds into your pipes. Exhaust valve stems usually get more open, not closed. Stop riding until you look at the valves lest you damage the motor. Just do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.