Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please excuse my ignorance I’m very new to motorcycle wiring. This could be a really dumb question but; if you remove a wire and it’s male half from a connector plug does that leave the wire in the female half exposed?
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

ie if I pulled these black wires out would that leave g/r and g/w exposed?

· Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,415 Posts
Not sure what you're showing in the diagram, nor which model bike...and not sure where you're disconnecting from, but...depends on the type of connector. Most individual connectors I've seen on these Hondas have a protective sleeve on the female ends to keep the elements out. You're gonna have to take a look yourself.

You can always post pictures of the part (in this case the wiring connectors) you're dealing with. There's bound to be someone on this site who is knowledgeable with your situation and they will be able to answer your question(s).

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,660 Posts
If I understand you correctly you are concerned something touching those pins inside the connector. I would think the chances are low. But you could put a small dab of silicone in the openings where you remover the wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I understand you correctly you are concerned something touching those pins inside the connector. I would think the chances are low. But you could put a small dab of silicone in the openings where you remover the wires.

I think a simpler way to put it would be: if I unplug one side of a plug connector does that create an incomplete circuit?

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,477 Posts
Use a meter and check which side is "hot" to determine how to best fix the issue. Honestly I would shrink wrap the "bullet" end/male and a touch of silicone as suggested thus allowing reversal of this delete if needed.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,660 Posts
I think a simpler way to put it would be: if I unplug one side of a plug connector does that create an incomplete circuit?
Yes

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,290 Posts
If you don't need that wire or plug and disconnect it, there is no harm done.
Think about all the electrical outlets and extension cords around your home.
Any problem when they are not connected? And that is 120 volts too.

· Registered
8 Posts
If you don't need that wire or plug and disconnect it, there is no harm done.
Think about all the electrical outlets and extension cords around your home.
Any problem when they are not connected? And that is 120 volts too.
Sure 120VAC VS. 12VDC but your household outlets are not exposed to the elements and any outdoor outlets need to have weatherproof boxes and most likely GFI protection. Exposed 12VDC "hot" circuit wires on a motorcycle or car would need the same protection from the elements to avoid short circuit possibilities. I would NOT leave exposed wires just hanging out.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,290 Posts
Smear dielectric grease on any exposed and the will be fine. And ready to re use if you need to.

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Those look like safety circuits, so opening one up permanently means something isn't going to work. what do the black wires go to? something like a clutch lever switch?

Just curious as to what you're eliminating?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts