Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking at my engine cases and in some spots I'm getting some corrosion under the clear coat. I was going to use some paint remover and wet sand and polish it up real nice. I was toying with the idea of re-applying some clear coat to it instead of trying the wax thing. I haven't found anything about re-applying clear coat in the search's I conducted.

Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Never tried applying clear once polished, but I know a guy who had his cases powdercoated clear and it turned out nice, 2 years ago I think, still no yellowing yet.

I polished the cases on my cb750 and never had a hard time shining them up every once in a while to keep corrosion away.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
true, my old KZ's always looked nice...just every few weeks polish them. I use Blue Magic, which says there is some kind of proctecant in it...don't know how effective it is though.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you recoat, dings will spawn more aluminum oxide 'worms' or cancer spots. The Honda OEM coating is lousy and I wish they wouldn't do it.

After removing the OEM coating, I leave it alone and hit it with Mother's on occasion. If that doesn't work for you long term, you can always recover it. If you recoat it, consider adding some rubber guards to keep junk from nicking your finishes.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave.
Any advice for take the OEM one off with ease? This clear coat thing sounds like more effort/$ than it's worth.

Polishing isn't that big of a deal for me... I've dealt with a lot of barn finds that the aluminum is rough as cement. Just figured since the factory did it, might not be a bad idea to try.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
If kept clean the factory coating lasts very well. I wouldn't shy away from clear coating because of the track record of Honda finishes which IMO have proved to be great with proper care.

I use an aerosol aviation paint stripper I get at Napa auto parts (Canada) Its powerful stuff, wear long sleeves and gloves and a mask if possible. I only use it outside and it still makes my skin crawl...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See, my clear coat isn't THAT bad, but in some spots its funny looking.
The aluminum just has a more of a brushed look instead of a shinier look like I'd like.

I think I have some of that aircraft stuff laying around... I'll have to try it tomorrow night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts