Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen posts on Facebooks Sabre 1100 group about this and did it finally for mine (I am not done yet, but here are the results of first side on front wheel.

I wish I had taken a better before picture but I didnt. I just was a dull haze and not polished look. Much better now. The disk brake side will be harder. I will use cardboard to ensure I get nothing on disk. I may also skip the rear (atleast for now)

Here is one and you can see how its clean but just not polished looking.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Using Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (elbow grease and mini ball polisher for drill)

Tire Wheel Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

It is NOT perfect as I still have some spots I cant get rid of. I even used never dull. I may have to just live with these spots (hard to see from 10 feet away anyway)

Liquid Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Fluid

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am curious, did the mags shine like that when brand new? They didn't look bad but just dulles.

Also, any tips on removing those smaller spots I show above or is that permanent? Don't think it's pitting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If there is an Achilles of the Sabre it is cleaning those wheels! Especially the rear,
They came with a pretty bright finish new but it is super hard to maintain.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,119 Posts
My brother uses Autosol and 3M Marine Aluminum Polish on his 1957 aluminum FeatherCraft boat and it looks too shiny.
Which is pretty amazing as it had been abandoned in the woods behind his friend's cottage for 30 odd years after the Johnson died and it was mostly dull gray and black when he hauled it to his house.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,097 Posts
If those spots go through the clear coat there's not much you can do short of stripping the clear coat and polishing from there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I got these looking good. The front opposite side of disc brake is best looking. I spent little time on the rear but made it look better.

How long will this last? I am curious how long until it dulls again (1 year or several?)

This looks pretty cool if you ask me:
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Rained all day, so I detailed the Sabre (washed, wax, polished)

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am curious, did the mags shine like that when brand new?

Also, any tips on removing those smaller spots I show above or is that permanent?
You are doing a fine job Kezug. Your wheel is looking good.

Sabre wheels are born shiny but not mirror reflection shiny.

The spots in your pics are corrosion/oxidation that has set into the metal surface. Surface polishing will not get it out. Wet sanding is the best option there, but, that is just from my own experiences. Someone else may have an easier way to do it learned from their experiences.

When I am serious about making my wheels shiny, this is how I do it:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The spots in your pics are corrosion/oxidation that has set into the metal surface. Surface polishing will not get it out. Wet sanding is the best option there, but, that is just from my own experiences. Someone else may have an easier way to do it learned from their experiences.

That video shows some innovation right there. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
219 Posts
Thats what i use too.
With each time you do this (yearly-winter project) they will come out better each year.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive lighting

Have to try this, this winter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Krash , you and (and several others it seems) have the same Viking saddle bags. Mine lids are a little be sun dried (not faded) just dried and curling a little bit.
Is there any sort of condition I can add to relax the material?
Speaking of material, what is it (vinyl, pleather, leather???)

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2
240 Posts
That looks fantastic. I recently switched out my spoked wheels for Sabre mags on my '07 Shadow ACE VT1100 because I couldn't keep the rust/corrosion at bay anymore (I live literally on the beach in southern California). My Sabre wheels are beginning to oxidize. I was thinking of wet sanding but that mini ball polisher looks like the better deal. I don't want a mirror finish. I like how yours turned out. How long did it take?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks fantastic. I recently switched out my spoked wheels for Sabre mags on my '07 Shadow ACE VT1100 because I couldn't keep the rust/corrosion at bay anymore (I live literally on the beach in southern California). My Sabre wheels are beginning to oxidize. I was thinking of wet sanding but that mini ball polisher looks like the better deal. I don't want a mirror finish. I like how yours turned out. How long did it take?
This was the first time ever doing something like this but I didn't not have to remove the wheels. I also have never done that and didn't want to either.
Some tips.
Lots of rags to wipe​
Use something like tape card board to protect disc.​
Remove saddle bags if you have them​
I would say 2 hours to do, if that.​
The miniball really helped as I first tried by hand and it was hard and time consuming.​

·
Registered
1997 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C2
240 Posts
This was the first time ever doing something like this but I didn't not have to remove the wheels. I also have never done that and didn't want to either.
Some tips.
Lots of rags to wipe​
Use something like tape card board to protect disc.​
Remove saddle bags if you have them​
I would say 2 hours to do, if that.​
The miniball really helped as I first tried by hand and it was hard and time consuming.​
Thanks Kezug. I meant to say I have a '97 Shadow ACE (not an '07). One more question. Did you remove your wheel weights when you polished your wheel? If so, what did you use to stick them back on?

·
Registered
05 Sabre 1100
219 Posts
Thats what i use too.
With each time you do this (yearly-winter project) they will come out better each year. View attachment 297529

Have to try this, this winter.
The spinning video that is. Awesome idea.
@Krash , you and (and several others it seems) have the same Viking saddle bags. Mine lids are a little be sun dried (not faded) just dried and curling a little bit.
Hummm, dont know but will be watching this thread. Mine are new this year. I am careful to open by pulling the velcro equally so that im not pulling from the corner forcing them to curl as i have seen this before on the web.
Depending on how bad they are you may find a USED scotchbrite pad and liquid polish a good candidate for the first go round. Will need to get the old clearcoat off first then any dings before even worrying about polishing for a shiny finish.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Kezug. I meant to say I have a '97 Shadow ACE (not an '07). One more question. Did you remove your wheel weights when you polished your wheel? If so, what did you use to stick them back on?
I did not remove them. They never were really in the way either.

·
Registered
492 Posts
what did you use to stick them back on?
Hey JPatron,

Not to de-rail or steal into another member's thread, but, I have been mounting and balancing my own tires for decades
and use lead fishing weights, hammered and cut to shape, and the double-sided mount adhesive tape at any auto parts store, to balance my tires.

John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey JPatron,

Not to de-rail or steal into another member's thread, but, I have been mounting and balancing my own tires for decades
and use lead fishing weights, hammered and cut to shape, and the double-sided mount adhesive tape at any auto parts store, to balance my tires.

John
Over the years you have been known to be pretty "thrifty" John! ;)
That is a great idea.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My experience, from a professional interior detailer (old timer) is good ol saddle soap. Cleans and preserves plastic and leather material, very safe and easy. Keeps everything baby ass soft. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts