Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's a question for all you pros out there. I'm trying to detail and restore my bike, a 99 shadow ace. The previous owner probably never detailed it. I was able to polish the edges of the cooling fins, but now I'm noticing that the black painted portion is either dulled and/or corroded. Has anyone been able to polish this and restore the black, or has anyone painted this back to black? Even with the polished edges, the contrast isn't as good as it could be. I'd like to get it back to black. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello, Yes I painted mine this winter, Mine didn't start out as Black Though, It was grey. It takes, ALOT of time and I mean that, most of it is cleaning them good enough for the paint to stick. I Cleaned them with a degreaser (Spray Nine) and cotton swabs, Rinsed and made sure again they were clean, I then used sandpaper to flatten the edges (Yours should already be) and I painted them with a high heat high gloss black, and sanded the edges off after the paint dried. It came out really good, I blacken them all and polished the fins on the top set (The top set comes off, the bottom set is on the head) and left the bottom black for a different look. Here's some pictures.

Before

After

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Very Nice work Epic.

Can I assume that the fake air fins on a VT1100 can also be removed as if they could, I would love to take them off and have them chromed. I see the four or five Alan bolts for the top portion to remove them but I only see one hex bolt on the bottom section and am wondering if that is what I need to remove that half. I have the manual and it shows me clearly how to take off the top and it shows the bolt holding the bottom ( at least I think it is that bolt). Yours looks clearly different, do you have any advice on it?

Cheers

Dragoon

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
dragoon,

alas the set of fins on the heads are just bolted on. the fins on the jugs of our spirits are cast in and are not removable as the set on the heads are.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
White knight,

You just had to bust my bubble :? I am sorry to hear this but I guess it is all part of owning the spectacular model we have chosen. I think doing just the top wouldlook funny but will consider it.

Thanks for the info
:lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anything behind the cooling fin sections? Such as coolant or oil? Or am I free to just take them off? I found that if I use aluminum polish on the black sections, with q-tips...that it takes off the oxidation and brings them back to almost black. I'm glad it works but it's a real pain the arse.

·
Registered
294 Posts
FLnewbie said:
Is there anything behind the cooling fin sections? Such as coolant or oil? Or am I free to just take them off? I found that if I use aluminum polish on the black sections, with q-tips...that it takes off the oxidation and brings them back to almost black. I'm glad it works but it's a real pain the arse.
Nothing will fall out if you take them off. (The air box has to come off to remove the right side fins)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, now I need some help. I've had some success with polishing the painted portion of the cooling fins but I'm not too impressed with it. Has anyone else tried getting the oxidation off? And if I end up having to repaint them black, are there any suggestions on which paint to use? I know I'll need high-heat paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts