Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last time i needed a major repair, i went to dr browns, but now that he's retired does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement? i do a lot of my own work, but sometimes i want or need someone else to do a repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I replaced my water pump, which was a major chore, but I wasn't gonna pay $800 to have it done at a shop. Here's a picture of the old one, yikes. No wonder it wasn't working. I managed not to have to completely remove the engine, but I did have to unbolt the whole thing. The difficult part was moving it to the right side of the bike far enough to get the pump out. You gotta pull the engine forward, just enough to get the engine mounts clear of the tabs, and then if you've got the removable bit of frame off, and the exhaust pipes detached (I pulled just the front half of each pipe off, left the mufflers on the bike) you can slide it to the side the inch or so you need to undo the four bolts that hold in the water pump and slide it out. Don't be like me, though, drain the oil before you do that! otherwise it'll all pour out on the ground from the pump shaft. I'm disabled so this took me two days, but I'd imagine someone with full stamina could do it in one sitting. I got my part from Bike Bandits. I was able to salvage the o-ring that goes into the top of the pump housing from the coolant pipes. I got new ones for the other seals. (I hadn't expected to remove the cooling tube so I didn't get a new seal for it) All together, less than $200 and about 6-7 hours work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I heard the best place in Portland was a guy named dralokyn,there may be others that will speak up. I heard he is new so be patient with him, he has many people that he seeks knowledge from and is not shy to do so.Good luck, I have found bikes I have are older than most mechanics if that tells you something.Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
On my 86 VT700C the hard part wasn't doing the job, it was finding a new o-ring. Why I found a brand new water pump from Honda but could not find the darn o-ring is beyond me. I eventually found it from csml.com from Europe of all places. I bought 3 of them lol. (Literally searched for two months).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Call Gage at HDR Cycle repair.

503 847 8770

Gage did a great job on my bike. Pricing seems to be fair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts