Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all you motorcycle gurus,
Friends call me Steve, I recently bought a 85 shadow vt500c, the bike is in really good shape for being 25 years old, only a few dings. I believe it to be bone stock, and the tags on it expired 9 months ago so i also think it was riden regularly. The issue I'm having is that while is starts just fine the throttle is slow to respond and once I feather it up to about 5k it will only hold it for a few seconds before dropping drastically. So I started looking around to see if there was anything obviously wrong, and found only one thing, the air box is missing the connection to the right side carb, that's to say that the plastic plumbing that is suppose to go to the carb is gone, the other side is there. So any thought anyone might have would be great. And how vital is that air box tube?

P.S. Here's a pic of the bike after I painted the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires, plugs, and fluid are all new. Thanks for the info about airbox, I guess I'll start looking for one, oh and that's not a gas cap, it took me a minute to figure it out but it's the cap from the spray can I used to paint the tank. The tank cap is also missing and the paint cap was used to keep paint outta the tank during painting, and didn't get removed till the next day after it was dry!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I found an orig airbox, got it for free off a guy that owns about 35 bikes, most are down to the frame but he found one, so that should help a bit. No luck on a cap yet though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I dumped my tank (had some really pretty crud in it), replaced fuel filter, added a complete airbox, and ran some seafoam through the fuel line and within 15 mins of running, it sounds like a bike again!! Now for tags and a test ride!!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.