Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If it's just light surface rust, try a fine steel wool, no it won't scratch it. The steel wool is softer than the chrome, just don't bear down with all your power. I even use plain ole sos/brillo soap pads on my chrome wheels when they get a spot of rust on them. Shines them up nice.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
NevR Dull! Great stuff for removing surface rust, haze, water spots, and minor pitting from chromed surfaces. I haven't had much luck with aluminum, and it doesn't play well with leather (studs in a tank bib, for example).

CB

·
Registered
934 Posts
CleoBen said:
NevR Dull! Great stuff for removing surface rust, haze, water spots, and minor pitting from chromed surfaces. I haven't had much luck with aluminum, and it doesn't play well with leather (studs in a tank bib, for example).

CB
It's great stuff, I use it all the time.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
TurtleWax Chrome polish. Removes the oxidation (rust) and puts a protective coat of wax on it too!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
CleoBen said:
NevR Dull! Great stuff for removing surface rust, haze, water spots, and minor pitting from chromed surfaces.
CB
I was going to ask the same question about chrome. I've got some really light rust on my 03 ACE. So based on this suggestion of NevRDull, I bought this today and just started to use it. ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL RESULTS!!! I can't imagine using anything else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
NevRdull is the way to go. I use it on all my non-painted metal surfaces. It cleans and leaves a light coat of protection after wiping off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scratched crome!

So i ended up using an SOS pad with soap and water on the crome first, most of the rust came right off, BUT, it scratched the hell out of some of the crome. THis was on a sissy bar, the parts that were scratched were the lower brackets, and the crome brace behind the pad, so now there are swirl marks all over those parts of the crome from the SOS pad. Im guessing those crome parts were softer then the frame of the sissy bar or somthing. Now, is there anyway to get these scratches to dissappear? I tried Turtle wax crome polish, and that shined it up good, but the scracthes are still there.......

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I'm suprised that the sos pad scratched your chrome. Are you sure it was chrome steel and not polished aluminimum? Steel wool will def scratch aluminimum, guess we should have been more specfic about what to use it on.

I've used sos pads on my chrome steel, cars and bikes, for years and never had it scratch.

You can use a polishing compound like jeweler's rouge and a polishing wheel on a bench grinder, to remove those scratches, even if it is aluminimum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Bom's Away

It's the best stuff I've ever used to remove rust and corrosion on both chrome and aluminum. Besides having whatever it has in it to remove that stuff it also has carnuba wax in it to protect after you wipe it off. Once rust has penetrated the layer of chrome and gotten down to the metal underneath there's nothing that will restore it except rechroming but if the rust is of a surface type it will remove it. It aint cheap but worth the money.Google search bad to the bom.

And it does not have any abrasives in it at all. Will not scratch chrome.

·
Registered
121 Posts
1. Aluminum foil and water, or aluminum foil and coca cola.

2. Move to NW Arizona, it hasn't rained in about a year. Rust? Not here. There are Ford Pintos running around town!

3. I don't like steel wool (including SOS pads) on chrome. Try a nylon scrubbie with some Barkeepers friend, it removes rust but won't scratch.

4. WD-40 removes rust somewhat. Also leaves a water-repellent surface.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help. The rust all did come off easy enough with that SOS pad, but like i said, it scratched the hell out of some of the crome. Not sure if it is aluminum or not, its a OEM sissy bar for a VT700. None of the crome frame on it scratched, just the lower brackets and crossmember. It looks pretty good until you get close and then you can see the swirl mark scratches the SOS pad left on it....I guess other then taking the sissy bar back off and grinding it down, im pretty much stuck with the scratches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.