Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda shadow ACE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall i bought a 2003 750 shadow ACE for my wife who is just learning to ride. I took the bike out for a spin so it does not sit to long while she is in training.
Anyway as i was riding i noticed that anytime i am in 3rd gear cruising or accelerating, i get an incredable whine from the grear box (or it at least sounds like the gear box). When i decelerate in is way less and even more when i clutch. Any other gear there are no noises.
The oil is new, but i believe the clutch is fairly worn.

Does anyone have any ideas, or can give me a lead?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Black Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
161 Posts
Hi Iccnt,
im far from an expert but I’ll chime in til someone else gets here. Are you sure it’s only in third? Is this chain driven or shaft? Tight chains or other than Oem cogs can cause some racket. I replaced my chain and cogs on my previous bike. The new front cog didn’t have the rubber damper and it really buzzed.

·
Registered
2003 Honda shadow ACE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya its only 3rd gear. All the others are very quiet.
Sounds like I`m driving my truck in reverse.
And chain and fluids where all checked and changed by the dealer when i bought it.
Unfortunately i did not notice the problem until I rode it this summer.
The bike runs great and shifts perfect. But the clutch feels a little short, but does not slip.

Little baffled.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
HMMMM??
Mine is fairly quiet in all the gears...
Spin the wheel with it off the ground to check chain tension...
Chain has a tight spot in it, you SHOULD have 3/4" play when you reach that tight spot in the chain, don`t concern yourself with the loose, only the tight portion is used for adjustment...
Gotta book???

The whine you hear could be normal for that Bike,
Dennis

I`d be concerned if it Clunked or jumped > not so much a whine

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,898 Posts
What oil are you currently running in it. How does you chain look?

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
And chain and fluids where all checked and changed by the dealer when i bought it.UNQUOTE

HONDA Dealer???
I think I might take to them and maybe have the service manager ride it, in order to have his input on the whine...

Some Bikes just do dat,
Dennis

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,063 Posts
If the whine is only in third gear then I would suspect that there may be some damage to third gear like a broken tooth or just excessive wear for some reason.

Can you explain what you mean by short clutch?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
Clutch cable aughtta have a nickels thickness at the lever to perch, freeplay/gap...

I agree with @PhantomRider64 on third gear may be worn...

Accelerating causes it to whine louder than decelerating > HMMM, Maybe our Gurus will have a remedy...
I use GN4 10W40, (no whine)
Debnnis

This is why I ask ^ HONDA Dealer ^ change your oil???

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not saying it is, just a change in gear noise would be 10 and 11 wearing out together. One search would be to pull the old oil filter apart and look for copper material, or anything gold looking, it's most likely 11 being the softer material.

·
Registered
2003 Honda shadow ACE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And chain and fluids where all checked and changed by the dealer when i bought it.UNQUOTE

HONDA Dealer???
I think I might take to them and maybe have the service manager ride it, in order to have his input on the whine...

Some Bikes just do dat,
Dennis
Ya that may be an idea but it's a 30 min ride. I'll see what I can do.
I was thinking that myself.

·
Registered
2003 Honda shadow ACE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not saying it is, just a change in gear noise would be 10 and 11 wearing out together. One search would be to pull the old oil filter apart and look for copper material, or anything gold looking, it's most likely 11 being the softer material.

Unfortunatly, since the oil and filter was done at the dealer I have no access to the old parts.

The other option is get rid of the bike back at the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts