Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling the pillion seat off, I saw just how badly the paint had faded on the rear fender, and I wondered if there was anything that could be done about it. Also about light scratch removal on the tank (clay bar, maybe?) And the side covers.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Clay bars really don't take out scratches, they just take all the impurities, dirt, and grime out of the paint. Rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease may make your scratches a little less noticable. If your comfortable with a very light wet sand and buff, maybe that will help. Rubbing compound and an orbital buffer may make the faded area less noticable too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Try waxing it and see if it shines up. I have seen vehicles with dull and faded paint look normal again simply by waxing. Especially if they have not had a coat of wax in the last couple of years. Same with plastic parts.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Cut and polish with a machine. Hand polish and waxing wont get it.

it's most likely just the very top layer of clear coat is faded, and the scratches dont help. But minor scratches and swirl marks will be removed with a good polish job. then some NICE wax or paint sealant to protect. Got a pic to show us how bad it is?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cut and polish with a machine. Hand polish and waxing wont get it.

it's most likely just the very top layer of clear coat is faded, and the scratches dont help. But minor scratches and swirl marks will be removed with a good polish job. then some NICE wax or paint sealant to protect. Got a pic to show us how bad it is?
It's mainly the rear fender, and didn't look bad until I took the passenger seat off. The rubber bumpers on the passenger seat also wore through the paint :frown2: I don't have pictures of it but I'll work on getting some. I did my Plasti-dip tank stripe today and it looks great. I might dip the whole bike one of these days..:grin2:

·
Premium Member
7,275 Posts
3m rubbing coumpound and a lot of elbow grease. Don't use a buffer unless it's not your first rodeo. It's real easy to burn through if your not careful. Then wax hell out of it with your favorite wax/polish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts