Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled in the driveway about 2:45pm. The rally was AWESOME! Lots of great riding, sightseeing,socializing,etc. . Thanks to Jo (Sadie) for another great weekend, you're the best, thanks to Bruce (Dr. Bob's Patient) for piloting us safely through the twisties for two days, and to the rest of the ECR gang (especially Paulie) for more fun than a human being should be allowed. Y'all ride safe and we'll see ya next year. -Tim

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Dave & I pulled in about 3:30 pm... we took 64 East from Blairsville and rode thru some of the most beautiful roads and mountains I've ever seen... all the trees thru there were changing and the weather was icy cold..

This has definitely been the best rally so far.... Can't wait to download pictures!!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I be here, got in about 4:15ish. Went up 19 through the gorge by the nanny.

Thought Jack and Barry were going with me to the turn off to the parkway, but I looked back and they was getting off.

Guess I went too far between P breaks. :oops: (I do that, got to tell me when to stop. Get into that zone thing.)

8)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Michele and I pulled into home around 5:20pm. My GPS brought us back a different way from Augusta than it took us!

Rt 17 to Augusta, then 25 to 24 to 21 to 95. That section was very straight and we ran 65mph and made good time!

All is well and again thank you Sadie for putting this one together! It was AWESOME!

Bruce

·
Registered
799 Posts
Im at the cabins still , and i am so glad you all had a good time, I sure did and this rally was such a group effort....pictures and write up to be forth coming...... Thank you all for making this a safe and fun weekend. Art is staying through to monday and I am probably leaving on tuesday, so we got to go for a nice ride up to Murphy and up 64 to the Highlands, stopped at the Dry Falls and Bridal Vail Falls to get pictures, then on to 106 which took us from Highlands NC to Dillard GA and yes you guessed it we ate at the Dillard House ....where was Cbolling ???? we started to hit rain just out side of Dillard after dinner on 76 , and got back to the Cabins at about 7 pm.....the rain was light ,and I led all the way, of course it was a slow roll back to the cabins. Let me just say that our hosts who own the Alpine Cabins are just the nicest most down to earth folks you would ever want to know. The Cabins are clean and warm and inviting , you really feel at home there anyone looking for a great place to stay please check them out go to www.alpinecabins.com

I will post a thread about the rally and all the days events....

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
But sadie didn't mention how thrilling she found it to count the ticks on a deer's tail.

Or the hawk that rode in her slipstream (although she never saw it).

Or the couple we met from Aiken, SC.

Or the sisters from Tampa.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adlowe said:
But sadie didn't mention how thrilling she found it to count the ticks on a deer's tail.

Or the hawk that rode in her slipstream (although she never saw it).

Or the couple we met from Aiken, SC.

Or the sisters from Tampa.
So are you going to tell us or not?
The Dillard House is great isn't it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Home safe and sound

Got in about 2:30 pm . Had a fantastic time... . Jo and Bruce thanks so much for putting together just a great time . I enjoyed all two thousand miles of my journey . What a wonderful time getting to meet the 2009 ERC crew .....

·
Registered
799 Posts
havent heard from barry yet, where is his post anyone know when he made it?

I will do a complete trip report when i get home on wed, but let me just say I came as close as you can to hitting a dear without actually hitting it , thats as close as i ever want to be. I rolled off the throttle and ducked behind the windshield getting ready for impact, all i saw was the white tail of the doe at my front fender. My angels where with me I think they stood between me and the dear, ......... will tell you all about the sisters and the guy in the report it is so clear how big the world is and how small the internet makes it :)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
I'll have to find the words to describe the hawk since I'm the only witness. It was amazing, too -- in a much more positive way than the deer was.

Anyway, I'm not home but I made it to Corinth, MS. Fell short of my Memphis goal (no BBQ :( ) because I lost too much time in Huntsville while meeting with an old friend. (Departure time from Blairsville was PERFECT for arrival in Huntsville, btw. Could not possibly have timed it better.)

The last 40 miles was dark and misty with wet roads and intermittent rain so pushing on to Memphis seemed extremely foolish. I'll check the weather tomorrow and figure out where I head next.

·
Registered
640 Posts
rickbb said:
I be here, got in about 4:15ish. Went up 19 through the gorge by the nanny.

Thought Jack and Barry were going with me to the turn off to the parkway, but I looked back and they was getting off.

Guess I went too far between P breaks. :oops: (I do that, got to tell me when to stop. Get into that zone thing.)

8)
I got home safely at about 6:00 PM last night after a glorious day on the BRP and SLD. I want to tell you that the ECR was about the greatest time I have ever had with my pants on. The food and lodging was great, the roads to TWO were the best I have ever ridden, and the company was fantastic. I am honored to call you all my friends (even you Right Wingers). Jo, Bruce, you guys did a great job and put a lot of pressure on the folks that will take over now that you are stepping down as the organizers. By the time I got home I had 1506 miles on the bike (and my butt which was telling me, enough already by the time I got here). I’m ready to start planning for next year.

Jack and I pulled off because we saw the sign for the Parkway and Mount Mitchell. We were surprised that you didn't wave or something when we came up on it. I guess there was another sign further up that you were refering to when you told us about it. Anyway Jack and I got on the Parkway and stopped at the Visitors Center and found out that I had underestimated the distance and the time to Floyd. We stopped at Mount Mitchell for a late lunch and then thought we could get on RT 221 and make some time up. Little did we know but RT 221 had some of the toughest twisties we saw on the whole trip. We finally got to the hotel about 8:30 PM. Yesterday morning Jack checked the GPS and found that he would do better heading up RT 81 instead of the Parkway so we said our good byes and split up.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
C Nile said:
I want to tell you that the ECR was about the greatest time I have ever had with my pants on. The food and lodging was great, the roads to TWO were the best I have ever ridden, and the company was fantastic. I am honored to call you all my friends
Ditto.

·
Registered
799 Posts
adlowe said:
C Nile said:
I want to tell you that the ECR was about the greatest time I have ever had with my pants on. The food and lodging was great, the roads to TWO were the best I have ever ridden, and the company was fantastic. I am honored to call you all my friends
Ditto.
double ditto

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
adlowe said:
C Nile said:
Ditto.
Triple ditto.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Still not home but I'm only 450 miles away after logging 508 miles today. Almost 9 hours of wheels-moving time, about half of it in and out of rain. (First two and last 3 hours were dry.)

Here's my track so far:

Yesterday is purple and today is yellow.

Not exactly direct but there are a couple of reasons for that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am home finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got a late start and anyway you cut it , its a 12 hour ride home....... left Alpine Cabins at 1130 rolled into my driveway at 12 am ....... I stopped 1 time for food, and of course my gas stops, Had a dry ride home , my angels were with me it would seem I just missed rain by mins I got a the treat of a pretty light show with the lightening..........Thank you again to everyone who came this year it was a blast and a big thankyou again to Bruce for handling the riding part , you are great. Im beat but i drank a 5 hr thingie that Art gave me ( thank you ) and it got me going the rest of the way home :) you be safe Art and be sure to let us know when you hit home.....

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Last & least reporting in from home. I made it here (not without incident, though) about 90 minutes ago -- I'm not real sure when I got here because all the clocks in the house were flashing different times. The clock on my bike died in the Arkansas rain and I didn't think to check my cell phone.

The incident: About 120 miles out, I went down while pulling into a gas station. :oops: It was a left turn with the pumps up a hill. I spotted sand in the driveway and made my turn well short of it. Just as I was about to roll on some throttle to climb the hill, zzzzzip and I'm thinking WTF as my chest hits the pavement.

Minimal damage. Front fender

edge of the windscreen

end of the clutch lever

and the left hardbag.

Here's where my right boot rubbed the tank

my left boot

and my helmet with scratched visor and chips on the chinbar.

Besides my pride, the biggest injury I sustained is a sprained left ankle. I also broke a fingernail (probably while lifting the bike) and suspect I'll have a camera-shaped bruise over my ribs in a few hours. All superficial, except for the ankle -- downshifting hurt quite a bit and upshifting wasn't possible with the front lever. After 10 years of ignoring it, I finally learned to use that heel shifter -- not nearly as difficult and irritating as I expected.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident but glad to hear your not hurt any worse then you are. This biking stuff is scary. You ride the Dragon with no problem and then you hurt yourself going into a gas station.

·
Registered
799 Posts
oh Art that just sucks..... im so glad to see you are home i checked earlier an didnt see anything. I was getting worried......ice the ankle and take some aleve it will help.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts