Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Completed the first leg of my triple-redundant journey home about 30 minutes ago. (That means I'm home.) Pushed hard, rode MUCH more e-way than I like and paid for the high speeds with MPG -- I consistently hit reserve at the 125 mile mark. Not a fun day at all.

Still in all, it was well worth it to spend time with you folks again. Wish we could make it longer!

On edit: Pete & JoAnn made it home safely by 2 PM.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes, we got in around 2pm. Had to unpack, mow grass, get groceries, update Fantasy Football site, and eat.

Un-eventful ride up... we did ride into about 15 seconds of rain just north of Marietta Ohio.

All-in-all was a grand time with great people. Hope next year to be back for the fun and festivities.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also wanted to say a big thank you to adlowe and rickbb for taking the lead on two great rides on friday and saturday, and for their hard work on planning the ECR this year, you guys are the best!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I got in about 4:00 after a nice ride on the BRP. I want to add my thanks to Art for putting this weekend together. And of course thanks to Rick for giving us a chance to practice our off-road riding. I will see you all next year and hopefully earlier.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Well I didn't leave Hillsville until 11:30am pulled into Chadds Ford Pa. (about 20 miles from my house) around 7:30 and had a leisurely dinner. Four Hundred and fifty miles in 8 hours flat, a personal best for me. Glad all the Virginia troopers were on I77 cause I wicked it up as traffic would allow. I got to use the heated gear, got pretty cold riding after sundown. I got to use the headlights more than I wanted also. What I get for standing around jawing all morning. I'm blaming Rick and Jo.

I had a great time, great rides, great booze and great people, what else could you ask for.

Going to go lay down in bed and watch the Eagles play. Later babies.

·
Registered
799 Posts
hello all my comrades in arms hehe... or in seats as it were... I made it to WV to my friend Rachels about 300 I got a late start almost 1230 and also took 21 which was one of the nice twisties roads we all rode on friday. Another lovely day for riding, got some great video of the tunnells on 77 very cool stuff yes will post them when i can.....have a greaet night im off to bed

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
C Nile said:
I got in about 4:00 after a nice ride on the BRP. I want to add my thanks to Art for putting this weekend together. And of course thanks to Rick for giving us a chance to practice our off-road riding. I will see you all next year and hopefully earlier.
Hey, it was a real road, well on the map anyway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
rickbb said:
C Nile said:
Hey, it was a real road, well on the map anyway.
yeah yeah so you say :p

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
The second leg of my triple-redundant journey home is complete. I got back to Hillsville just before 5 with truck & trailer (Helen's bike inside). 520 miles up in 9 hours, 22 minutes. 520 miles back in 9 hours 27 minutes. Who'd a thunk the bike is only 5 minutes faster?

Anyway, we went to the museum that has displays (a lot) on Helen's great-grandfather's murder along with a LOT of other things. Much more interesting than I expected.

Then we went to dinner at the Galax Smokehouse. Diner atmosphere with foam plates and plastic utensils but EXCELLENT food. Too much food. Probably a poor choice for Mike but the carnivores among us would love it.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
thebabbster said:
Yeah, I wanted to try that smokehouse, maybe next time.
It was GOOD. And they've got more different bbq sauce choices than I ever expected -- we started with 4 and ended up with 7 different ones on our table. Can't say how authentic any were but my wife claims the Lexington (NC) was spot on. (The TN one didn't seem quite right to me but I am NOT an expert -- my limited experience with TN bbq sauce was all in the Lewisburg area.) They even had a SC mustard-based sauce. Pulled pork was best last night but everything -- including the mashed potatoes, potato salad and cole slaw -- was good. And they've got beer on tap.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,209 Posts
Finally made it home last night, between 6:30 and 7. Started late, didn't press hard (i.e. stayed mostly at/under the speed limit) and took an extra stop (Helen can't go 4+ hours between stops) so it was about 10.5 hours. Traveling the exact same roads 3 times in 3 days was "interesting"; I hope to never do that again -- at least not with two legs in a pickup. Surprising, though, how much the fall colors came on each of the days -- there were actually noticeable differences throughout the trips.

Helen is looking forward to the next ECR and really likes the idea of cabins. She thinks she'll drive down in a car with some food and spend all day Friday prepping a meal for everyone while we're out "riding the 8.7".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts