Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while something happens that elicits my infamous "stupid look." You know, the look that someone has where you can literally see the WTF?!!?? in the cartoon balloon above their head?

I was in my garage cutting some stock with the die grinder. POP it goes, and like a ninja sword, half the cutting wheel slices right through 2 of my flourescent light tubes, leaving them hanging from all 4 ends, and lodges itself in the sheetrock like a throwing star. Never had one explode like that before. Pretty happy I wasn't in the way ;) Safety glasses only cover a small part of the body. The thought entered my head that perhaps I need to be wearing that suit of armor that somebody posted one time under an ATGATT discussion, LOL!!

Needless to say, for anybody out there who isn't practiced with power tools, please remember to keep the cutting wheel perpendicular to your body, not in line with it... they do explode! And remember, don't use your bench grinder on aluminum, the wheel will load up and it can easily explode as well, sending huge pieces of shrapnel all over. Saw that happen once with a newbie A&P apprentice out at the airport. Not pretty. Just a couple little tidbits that somebody might not know, hope it's helpful.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Lucky the florescent tubes didn't explode - those suckers can be pretty sharp! (I'm speaking from experience here).

I use a face shield when using power tools (started the habit back in Jr High (Middle School, I think they're called these days, stateside) and wearing one has saved my ugly mug on more than one occasion.

Glad you're OK...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
OH and I have found that that old set of clears that we all have laying around work awesome as safety glasses. The foam keeps all the crap out your eyes. Especially for guys like me that wear hard contacts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Glad to see you didn't get hurt.

OK, I can't resist this. Was it too much estrogen or not enough testosterone that caused this? :D

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Yes, cutting wheels do explode on occasion. It's usually from getting overloaded with metal particles and over heating. Cutting aluminum is also dangerous as it builds up on the wheel, keeping the wheel from keeping cool enough. NEVER EVER hold the cutting tool inline with any body part. There is no forwarning when they explode. Don't use one that's out of balance. Not only will it vibrate to oblivion and cause your hands to fall asleep, it will cause uneven wear to the cutting wheel and also can cause it to fall apart while cutting (explode)
We had a class (years ago) that demonstrated what can happen when grinders and cutting wheels get overloaded with material and the end result is not pretty. Blade guards are there for a reason, use them.
I've had cutting wheels explode twice so far, and I was lucky enough to have the pieces fly away from me and miss the others on the job site.
Just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
11,278 Posts
wow,,been using a bench grinder for years, never heard of that happening,,was it the mfg's regular grinding wheel that came apart?

mark

·
Banned
956 Posts
Always check the speed rating on the disk versus the tool as well. I had a guy in my shop put a disk on his air grinder designed for way less RPM. It exploded and I had to do first aid to put his nose back in place before they could get him to the ER. Spining objects fling far and fast, be carefull.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow,,been using a bench grinder for years, never heard of that happening,,was it the mfg's regular grinding wheel that came apart?

mark
The newbie kid in the A&P shop was grinding aluminum on a regular bench grinder when the wheel exploded on him. He looked like he'd just stepped on a land mine.

Mine was just a disk cutting wheel on a die grinder, fortunately I already know to stay away from the bench grinder with aluminum ;)

Glad to see you didn't get hurt.

OK, I can't resist this. Was it too much estrogen or not enough testosterone that caused this? :grin:

Hmmm.... let's see.... too much estrogen or not enough testosterone, now that's a good question ;) I personally think it was an overabundance of testosterone, to tell you the truth, 'cuz I was in too much of a hurry to get it done and get to sleep :mrgreen:

·
Registered
309 Posts
The newbie kid in the A&P shop was grinding aluminum on a regular bench grinder when the wheel exploded on him. He looked like he'd just stepped on a land mine.

Mine was just a disk cutting wheel on a die grinder, fortunately I already know to stay away from the bench grinder with aluminum ;)

Hmmm.... let's see.... too much estrogen or not enough testosterone, now that's a good question ;) I personally think it was an overabundance of testosterone, to tell you the truth, 'cuz I was in too much of a hurry to get it done and get to sleep :mrgreen:
LOL - Great answer Kathy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts