Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you like them? How is it for maintaining higher speeds on the highway? Pros/Cons?

Currently, my wife rides a 2001 Sabre. It's a lil too big size wise for her. She has no problems riding it, it's just too large for her to maneuver safely in slow moving/parking/backing the bike up. So instead of trying to continue to fit the bike to her, we've decided to down size to one that's a better fit. We sold her 02 750 Spirit to buy the Sabre. The Spirit just didn't seem to have the power required for higher speeds on the road. One of the bikes we are considering is an 05 750 Aero w/ shaft drive, so I don't know what the gearing is like compared to the chain drive 02 she had. And I'm not sure it will have any better power on the highway.

Another bike we are looking at is an 06 Suzuki Intruder S 50. Not sure if anyone has any feedback on this bike either. They are both for sale at the same dealer as I bought my M109. I know the previous owner of this bike, it has been well maintained and is capable of the highway speeds we would need.

I also found a comparison on line and it stated that the S 50 had more power then the Spirit.
Suzuki S50 vs Honda Shadow Spirit

I have already stripped her Sabre, and trailering it Friday to the dealer and coming home w/ one of those bikes.

Any help on the bikes would be great.

Thanks.

Pics of both bikes

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Aero is a 5 speed wide band gearing. From my experience on my 09 Aero, she is really comfortable going 60mph. at 65 there is some vibration in the handlebars and pegs and at 70 she whines (the infamous Honda whine) like crazy. at 75 it feels like the bike is going to rattle apart. If she is going to do lots of highway speed riding, I suggest keeping it at 70mph or below and invest in some ISO grips and pegs. Since it is a smaller bike and lighter it does like to be blown around a bit on the highway but it isn't so bad that you feel like you are going to lose control. I have been getting 48-55mpg, depending on how much I jump on the throttle (usually quite a bit lol).

Overall I am very happy with my Aero though I know I'm going to want a bigger bike in the next year or two.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd go with the Shadow. I test rode the S50 and it felt like a baby rattle. It was pre-owned and maybe had a real hard 3700 miles, but compared the Honda there was no choice. And I really dig the White/Silver combo paint.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the aero's are fine machines. i had one before my vtx. after 65mph it gets a little buzzy. i didn't have any aftermarket grips, seats, pegs, etc though. it has plenty of power, it just gets a little buzzy. i've cruised on the interstate at 70-75, and while the machine is totally capable of doin' that, it's just not the most comfortable. those aftermarket items i stated above might do the trick though. the aero, in my opinion, looks alot better than the s50. i also got amazin' gas mileage out of my aero, i was gettin' 55-65mpg.

·
Registered
561 Posts
White silver for sure!

·
Registered
162 Posts
well it looks like it's a +4 for the Aero so far. I really like all the aftermarkets/hondaline stuff on it and the white doesn't look so bad. The 2 into one, unless it's aftermarket, would dictate that it is an early 2000's(?) model of the shadow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Any idea of the tank size/range on the Suzuki? May just be the photo but the tank looks smaller.

The low seat height on the Shadow may be an advantage for your wife.

My shaft drive Shadow 750 likes to go 65-70. Above 70 the wind buffeting increases, but it will run 85 forever and in a pinch will break 100.

My son's wife did the same, she had a 750 Spirit that she was comfortable on, but to keep up with his Stratoliner she traded for a big Yamaha Silverado. She was never comfortable on it and sold it after a year.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Aero starts vibrating around 65 mph or so, but it has plenty of power to maintain highway/interstate speeds. Although I am always looking for 6th gear. You will have to get rid of the OEM seat. The Mustang seat helped a lot with reducing the vibration. I don't have ISO grips, but I do wear padded work gloves and that helps a lot with my hands. Overall I like my Aero, but I don't have a lot to compare it to either. This is the only bike I have ever owned and I have only ridden 1 or 2 others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 04 aero and dad has a 05 we both love the bike, and do a lot of long trips, + i ride mine 100 miles a day to and from work, on the interstate, and have to run 75-85 to keep from getting run over, i am also vertically challenged, and the bigger bike just don't feel right, you can't go wrong on the aero, congrats.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
B - I loved my '06 Aero. Did just fine for me on the highway, though it does get buzzy around 60-65MPH but seemed to smooth out nicely at 70+. I miss that bike and wish that I had not been forced to sell her last year (financial reasons).

I found the Aero to be smooth, comfortable, easy to maneuver and fun to ride. Low maintenance. Also previously had 2 ACE 750's - also great bikes.

I have no opinion on the Suz, but if it were me, I would hit on that Aero like a starving dog tearing into a steak.

My $.02...

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: I don't know what you all are feeling on the Aero above 60mph. Ya all might want to have that checked out. I've had my 07 Aero since...07. I commute 80 miles a day on the highway and County blacktops and generally cruise between 65 and 80mph. My bike doesn't shake, rattle or roll. :shock:
8 miles is on gravel/dirt as I live in the sticks and the Aero is great on those roads as well. Once a year I take it up over 100mph just...because. It does fine. And of course you get the "Honda whine" at highway speeds. Will it keep up with larger bikes? How fast you all going? It's certainly not the fastest 0 to 60 bike out there...but has plenty of power. It sits low, great balance and handling. It'll cruise all day. Reliable. Great all around bike! :-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have ridden my Aero since 2007 and am still in heaven. I agree that around 65 it has a tendancy to vibrate a bit, but it definitely smooths out at 70-75. Have ridden 250+ miles at a shot and although a bit stiff, was still happy. The high winds of Dakota can toss her around a bit, but that is anything over 25 mph, which you may or may not have to put up with. Maintenance has been a breeze, and mileage is exceptional. I wouldn't hesitate a bit.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
WHy not look at a Sporty 1200? You can get one at a decent price and they have plenty of power for the hwy.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A lot of these opinions on the Aero pertain to how the bike performs to their expectations. That may or may not be a good representation of what you need. I can't speak to the Suzuki as I have never ridden one. I can tell you about the Aero and the Spirt 750's, though. I've had two 750 Aero's and my brother in law has a Spirit 750. You're not going to notice any major difference between the Aero and your wife's old Spirit. If it wasn't enough then, the Aero won't be enough now. It may seem even less capable now that she's gotten used to the power of the larger bike on the highway. Everyone here can attest to the fact that it CAN do what you're asking. It's just a question of if she's comfortable pushing the bike to make it do that. Personally, I'd push the dealer to allow you to test ride the two bikes. Then you'll know for sure what you're getting into.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If most of the time will be at 70+ mph then I would look for bigger lungs on a bike. The Aero is dandy and is at it's prime at less the 65 mph. Above that it will be buzzy and less than a pleasure to stay there all day long. I've made plenty of 300 mile days on mine and like the bike most on 2 lane roads and not on the super slabs where the speeds were 70+. 95% of my riding is around town so for me my Aero is just dandy.:wink:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Now if you can locate an 1100 Yamaha Virago on something like craigslist then you will have it all. Nice looks, very easy to work on, same seat height, about same as the Aero 750, same weight, right around 550lbs, very nimble, and has enough power to keep up with anything on the road and can be bought fairly cheap. Only draw back is you are limited to around 140 /150 miles to a complete tank including reserve but it does have a low fuel light which comes on just before reserve is needed. As for my 08 Aero 750, put a tach on her and at 60 she tach's @ about 3,400 / at 65 tach's @ around 3,600 and at 70 tach's @ almost 4,000 at which point i see a slight vibration of the whole tach but can't feel it in the bike at any RPM. Fastest I,v taken her so far is 90 but she was willing do do more.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great responses everyone thanks! The tank on the Aero is a half gal bigger. I do agree the heavier the bike on the highway is def an advantage. As for speeds, we typically ride back roads, but have to hit the highway for some of that riding and we'll run anywhere from 70-90mph at any given point. Id' say a good average is about 80mph while on the highway. But the majority of the time the speeds will be below 65 for the type of riding we do. I think my wife is leaning towards the Aero as she really likes the looks of the bike. It only has 3300 miles on it too.

Now, I assume the 2 into 1 pipe is factory? How does it sound and what are some good options for exhaust?

Is the motor a single or dual pin crank?

Do the valves on this bike need adjusting or no?

How many miles are you able to go before having to hit reserve?

As far as the test rides, won't be a problem. I think we will take both bikes out together and then switch in the middle of the ride.

Oh, as far as buying a sporty, he have about a 4K budget for this and......
we don't want no stinkin Sporty, lol!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife loves her aero 750. White and silver, just like the pic. I've driven it on the highway and byway; I like it much better on the farm roads, but it does fine on the freeway. It revs higher than I like and shakes a bit, but I don't mind it. The performance bits are all stock, so I am thinking that an aftermarket pipe and intake might give it enough extra boost to make 75-80 a comfortable pace, but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
why would B want a sporty? he'd probably want a real bike for his wife. :lol:

i averaged 55-65mpg on my aero. i usually hit reserve around 150 miles. i don't carry any luggage, no windshield, and i only weigh 185.

i like the factory 2into1, i think it's very good lookin' and it has a nice little rumble too it. i don't really like loud pipes though, they just get on my nerves after a while.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I could be misunderstanding but my question is this. If you sold the spirit in favor of the sabre because the highway speeds weren't there, why would you think that the Aero would fair any better? Same engine.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts