Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December I was involved in a crash with a left turning cage.
I laid the bike down.

After much reflection I realized that my mistake had been in grabbing the front brake.

So I dug my Ride Like a Pro video and watched again. Then I went out and practiced...and practiced...and practiced.

Yesterday I am riding through a T intersection...I am on the cross part of the T and I have the right of way. I see a car waiting to turn right and join me...I am now wary.
All of a sudden a car parked and facing in the opposite direction, decides to left turn into the vertical part of the T directly in front of me.
I was going faster than I had been in December, and he was much closer.
But this time I had the presence of mind to gently squeeze the front brake while applying the rear as well.
I stopped about a foot from his passenger door.

If there is something we can do to be better riders it is practice.
Practice slow speed manuevers, practice braking hard, just practice.
It may indeed keep you upright when you need it most.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, he pulled over and rolled his window down.
I pulled next to him, lifted my shield and said, "How would you feel now if you had just killed me? Next time do not be an ass."

And then I drove off.

He knew he had effed up.
But I am happy that skills really CAN save your hide.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more. During the week, I always take a ride over my lunch break. I have a number of different routes I take but I use them to keep my skills sharp. Some examples of the things I do are U turns, panic stops, dirt roads, heavy traffic, and my all time favorite, the pot hole gauntlet. Many's the time this practicing has saved my butt in a real life situation. So I completely agree, practice, practice, practice.

Glad your pucker moment turned out ok.

sanoke

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Ditto on the practice. I'm always a bit amazed at the lack of skill exhibited by some bikers. I like to practice quick stops, high speed swerves, slow speed swerves, braking in corners and changing lines in corners and bar lock u-turns. For the latter I tape used fire hose on my engine guard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since I went down a couple months ago Ive practiced my breaking alot to help avoid another one. two weeks ago I was riding down a side street, just as a came up to a intersection filled with water from a draing pipe. a brand spakin new expiditiopn decided he didnt need to stop at his sign and ran flat out in front of me all I could see was the side of his SUV. However steady pressure on the breaks worked nice, I turned a bit sideways thru the water but as he went by literaly slightly bumping my rear tire I let off the breaks and straitened up. So I have to agree practice is crucial

·
Registered
949 Posts
smilts said:
Since I went down a couple months ago Ive practiced my breaking alot to help avoid another one. two weeks ago I was riding down a side street, just as a came up to a intersection filled with water from a draing pipe. a brand spakin new expiditiopn decided he didnt need to stop at his sign and ran flat out in front of me all I could see was the side of his SUV. However steady pressure on the breaks worked nice, I turned a bit sideways thru the water but as he went by literaly slightly bumping my rear tire I let off the breaks and straitened up. So I have to agree practice is crucial
That individual needs to be hunted down and taught some proper manners.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
another ditto on the PRACTICE!

be carefull this time of year in those parking lots. the one i usually go to still has sand left over from the winter de-iceing.

rolled right in there this weekend and got a big "oh ****" :shock: nothing worse than gravel on asphalt. :x

droy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
droy
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing