Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Shadow Aero
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for a bit over a year now, and have been steady commuting the last few months.
I had my first near miss with a car yesterday and had a funny reaction I wanted to share:

I was in the left lane local street road going about 35. The car in the right lane doesn't shoulder check and started merging into me. I was expecting it, so as soon as I saw his tires hit the dotted lines I went to honk at him as I squeezed the brakes. The only problem is that to honk my horn, I slapped my Speedometer on my gas tank as if it was a steering wheel :D

Everything ended fine, he apologized, etc. It got me thinking about what other carry-over and muscle memory I had from driving my car so long. I still feel sometimes like I need to put a seatbelt on!

Anybody else have any similar things pop up?

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
Practice, Practice, PRACTICE...
I gotta chuckle, Thank You BjornNelson

·
Registered
838 Posts
The only problem is that to honk my horn, I slapped my Speedometer on my gas tank as if it was a steering wheel :D

Hey BN,

Brother,

Thank you for the visual and the smile. Made my day :)!!!

Too often, as I am driving around in my truck with the window down and arm hanging out, I will throw the 2 finger wave to bike riders. No harm, no foul.

John

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
Yeah cyclejohn by HABIT, I throw the "wave" outta my truck window too...
Ain`t had nobody "wave" back though, not Yet ;)
D

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
I have got some looks, from Riders but they ain`t waved with me "waving" from in the truck YET ;)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've been riding for a bit over a year now, and have been steady commuting the last few months.
I had my first near miss with a car yesterday and had a funny reaction I wanted to share:

I was in the left lane local street road going about 35. The car in the right lane doesn't shoulder check and started merging into me. I was expecting it, so as soon as I saw his tires hit the dotted lines I went to honk at him as I squeezed the brakes. The only problem is that to honk my horn, I slapped my Speedometer on my gas tank as if it was a steering wheel :D

Everything ended fine, he apologized, etc. It got me thinking about what other carry-over and muscle memory I had from driving my car so long. I still feel sometimes like I need to put a seatbelt on!

That horn/speedo slap is a new one for me. :LOL:

Most new riders fall victim to stomping on the rear brake in their 1st panic stop, a conditioned response from auto driving.
And with that, they lock their elbows to go straight and hit whatever's in front of them.
But if they try and turn and go around the obstacle, with the rear wheel locked-up, the bike slides out from under them.
I ride with the mindset that I am invisible to everyone else on the road, and I can fit thru any space wide enough that my handlebars will fit thru.
jmo,

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,695 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Practice covering your front brake. A driver who merges left without checking will likely hear a horn, look left and turn left. You are dead. Best bet is to brake. I don't think that there is any situation when a horn is better than a brake and have not used my horn ... ever. Or maybe once or twice after safe.

·
Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
483 Posts
Too often, as I am driving around in my truck with the window down and arm hanging out, I will throw the 2 finger wave to bike riders. No harm, no foul.
Yeah cyclejohn by HABIT, I throw the "wave" outta my truck window too...
Glad I'm not the only one :ROFLMAO: I do this from my truck too. When I do it from my jeep I get the "jeep wave" back

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
Thinking of this thread, I Practiced Horn Blowing with my WOLO Bad Boy horn on the way home last night...
Just to hear it Blow...
Head ona swivel I seen two deer along the Lakeshore route...
Practice, Practice, PRACTICE

·
Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
59 Posts
I've forgotten where my horn was twice in the last six weeks, and I accidentally pressed the starter button.

I have got a remember: left thumb = horn (not the right thumb).

It was not an emergency in either case -- no other vehicles near me. I was just going to give a "friendly beep" and wave to some people I knew while puttering around the neighborhood.

·
Registered
'99 VT750CD ACE
483 Posts
I think I've only used my horn once or twice, and that would've been when a light changed to green and I could easily see the cage driver in front of me playing with their phone. As my wife always says, when you're at a light you have only one job and thats paying attention!

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
474 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Practice covering your front brake. A driver who merges left without checking will likely hear a horn, look left and turn left. You are dead. Best bet is to brake. I don't think that there is any situation when a horn is better than a brake and have not used my horn ... ever. Or maybe once or twice after safe.
That and don't hang on someone's quarter panel. It can be tough in traffic, but either ahead or behind. People don't do head checks. Just assume that.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
Yeah Bdilz99 I had one of them at a green light just sitting there, so of course I WOLOed her with a coupla blasts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh this topic comes at a perfect time!

If you guys rode where I ride, you would wear your horn clean out! People pulling out in front of me is where I get the most use out of my horn. My definition of someone pulling out in front of me is this: If I have to hit my brakes to keep from hitting you, you pulled out in front of me.

Best example:
I come into Lexington on a 2 lane country road. about a 1/4 mile before a major 4 lane intersection, there is a T intersection that comes out of a high end subdivision with a STOP sign. The speed limit on the 2 lane is 55mph. The T intersection is near the end of a 1/2 mile long straight stretch. So normal traffic flow on that road is doing 50-65 MPH. There is always a line of Mercedes, BMW and Lexus vehicles qued up to turn left onto the 2 lane. There is NOTHING more dangerous than a women in a luxury suv running late for work and sitting in that que! Almost every single day I have one of those people pull out in front of me. I'm doing 50-53 mph, have all my lights on, and they will wait until I am 100 feet from the intersection and pull out. Even if there is NOTHING behind me! There is nowhere to go. Deep ditch on both sides of road and usually on coming traffic. So I grab the brakes, lay down on the horn and slide up behind them. One morning this lady scared and pissed me off so bad I followed her for a 1/4 mile with the horn blaring every inch of the way. She never once ackowledged what she had done.

This morning a pickup truck did the exact same thing, but there was no oncoming traffic so I laid on the horn and just shot around him. Yes on a double yellow line... :rolleyes: He then blows his horn at ME! WTF? He pulls up behind me at the light at the 4 lane intersection, gets out of his truck, walks up to me, and wants to know what MY problem is! I told him EXACTLY what my problem was, and suggested he learn respect for other drivers, especially motorcycles. He just said, " F**king Bikers" and got back in his truck. Just so everyone knows, it's not just motorcycle riders these people pull out in front of. The skid marks at that intersection show it happens to everyone. Though I hate the thought of yet another traffic light, that is one intersection that needs one.

One last thought: Anyone who tells me not to take it personally and to just let it go? That is EXACTLY why people continue to act that that, no one is willing to call them on it. I am...

• Wow
Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
Yeah Coolerman those "Skid Marks" on the pavement, near an intersection, make me MORE AWARE that I NEED TO WATCH More Closely...
Leaves are starting to pile up, Be Aware,
Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts