Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a long ride today with the wife on my1997 750 ACE.
Stopped for ice cream, got back on, pressed the starter and heard a loud BANG.
No power, nothing.
Pulled the seat off, checked fuses etc, all ok.
Looked at the battery and the top has partially come off (dry cell battery)
Appears that the right side top of the battery has lifted as a result of the bang..
Only a little bit of fluid was around the top and a few drops on the side that lifted. Got a mate to bring his traler to collect the bike.
Once home i checked the voltage with a multi meter, 13.4v.
Put it on a battery charger and it wouldn't acknowledge it at all (dead cells?)
I have had the bike for about 3 and a half years, never replaced the battery, never even looked at it before. I guess i was up for a new one.
I'll call the shop this week and order another battery.
Has anyone heard of this happening before?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
28 Posts
Has anyone heard of this happening before?

yep, happens all the time with automotive batt. most likely the batt had a weak internal connection that caused a spark when it applied the load of starting. vibration probally caused the weak connection.

just be glad you weren't sitting on it! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,689 Posts
To Elaborate on what billfitt was saying......

If you haven't looked at the battery in years it probably was low on fluid (they need distilled water every so often to keep the acid level correct).
During the battery charging process hydrogen is created and probably filled the space that should have been filled with fluid. Then the spark ignited the hydrogen in several cells and boom.

I would take the battery out and swab everything under the seat with dilution of baking soday and water-let it sit awhile and rinse with clean water. Battery acid will tear up almost everything it come in contact with....eventually....it's slow acting but will make holes in fabric, eat paint, corrode wires and connectors etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
^^^^^^^^ what they said, mostly be glad we use small batteries.

several years ago mom had the same happen on her car looked like a grenade had gone off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
I agree with some of the others on that one - it was probably low on fluid and that will cause them to get hot, short out and explode.
You will probably want to check your charging system also! It may just over charging the battery and that will cause them to explode violently.
I drove a redi-mix truck back in the day, that over charged the battery, causing it to explode and completely destroy the battery box (heavy guage steel) and damaged the corner of the cab on the truck.
Good to see nobody was injured. That's some scary $hit right there!! >PD<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Acid Damage

Hope you flushed the whole area down with a water hose and a some baking soda. The little bit of Acid will slowly eat away the metal in trapped areas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
PainterD said:
I agree with some of the others on that one - it was probably low on fluid and that will cause them to get hot, short out and explode.
You will probably want to check your charging system also! It may just over charging the battery and that will cause them to explode violently.
I drove a redi-mix truck back in the day, that over charged the battery, causing it to explode and completely destroy the battery box (heavy guage steel) and damaged the corner of the cab on the truck.
Good to see nobody was injured. That's some scary $hit right there!! >PD<
PainterD,

Oh Yeah! Been there done that! I was very lucky that I only got acid in my eyes! The battery exploded with such force it blew everything apart, when it exploded, by some miracle, and I believe that's what it was, none of the plastic from the case hit my eyeballs! I had acid in them, and it was bad, but it could have been much worse!

I learned some very valuable lessons about batteries that day I'll tell you.

Always wear safety glasses around them. I can't tell you how many times I worked on and around batteries without safety glasses, and I'll tell you, I'll never work around one, no matter how small, ever again without them!

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was sitting on it !

Thanks guys for the replys. I went to the bike shop this morning. He reckons that the battery was being over charged by the rectifyer(which is only a couple months old)
I get a new battery in a couple of days . I'll ride it to the shop and he'll check the rectifier.
By the way, i was sitting on the bike when i pressed the button. The batter sits in a heacy duty plastic case which had a plastic top that screw on. If it had not been in the case at the time i am sure i would have ended up with fuid everywhere. I only ended up with a little in the botton of the casing.
The battery is/was a maintenace free battery You dont add water.

thanks again all !
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top