Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Would like to see how expensive that stuff is.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I like the spray cleaner & polish, as it works Great ! :)

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Then cut-and-paste one of the part numbers into ebay, click to include description, click lowest first..... and see
It was a rhetorical question.

The HP4S is about $11 / qt. Shell Rotella T6 is about $4/qt.....

Too many less expensive alternatives to the manufacturer's 'brands', at least for oil. I'd imagine it's the same with the other 'exclusive' products.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It was a rhetorical question.

The HP4S is about $11 / qt. Shell Rotella T6 is about $4/qt.....

Too many less expensive alternatives to the manufacturer's 'brands', at least for oil. I'd imagine it's the same with the other 'exclusive' products.
Lot more than Synthetic oil on the menu.

Nice to know what the OEM part numbers are then someone can make their decision on what they prefer to use on their Bike.

I'm using Valvoline Synthetic right now myself but for specialty greases, cleaners
anti-seize (plugs) and much more I will be looking to Honda Products for my bike rather than try to be an armchair chemical engineer....

one thing is for sure, you can't go wrong using the Honda recommended products. Yeah you might spend a few more dollars but your bike won't end up in the junkyard like many have when their owners thought they knew better than Honda....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The only thing in that whole list I would even consider buying is the "Moly 60" paste used on the drive shaft splines , but I already have a tube that will surely out last me or my bike .

·
Registered
229 Posts

Nice to know what the OEM part numbers are then someone can make their decision on what they prefer to use on their Bike.

I'm using Valvoline Synthetic right now myself but for specialty greases, cleaners
anti-seize (plugs) and much more I will be looking to Honda Products for my bike rather than try to be an armchair chemical engineer....

one thing is for sure, you can't go wrong using the Honda recommended products. Yeah you might spend a few more dollars but your bike won't end up in the junkyard like many have when their owners thought they knew better than Honda....
I surely hope you are joking. Do you really think that the same oil with the honda sticker on the box is better thanthe same oil with jimmy sticker? Or what ever sticker it carries.
Friend of mine owns a bike shop and garage. He has some hd's in maintenance. The owners want the original hd oil, spark plugs and so on. One hd sparkplug is as expensive as at least four (maybe more) ngk.
Do the last longer? Hell no, hd tells them to change the sparkplugs at every xxx miles. It is just hd that makes more money.
If you want to fool yourselve, my blessing you have. If you want to fool your wallet, please do.
If you want to maintain your bike just look for same products from other brands and you will save money. Notice your bike lasts as long as when you where using brand discribed products.
When I was Honda, I also would tell you to use only products with my name on it.
The profit I will take for granted.
It is like the bond between the church and the nobles in the early 15th and 16 century. If you keep the people dumb, we will keep them poor.
No mother what brand of a bike I will ever ride. As soon as out of garanty I will use products for maintanace that will do the same, as cheap as I can get them.
The brands are rich enough and are ripping you while you are watching their products.

As for the shadows I ride and own, Honda doesn't give a ****. They are not happy we all are riding the old shadows. What Honda is concerned, they would be very pleased we all are buying newer types.
Why do you think Honda is not providing parts anymore? For our older bikes?
They should be proud we all keep riding and taking care of thise beautuifull bikes. They should honor us by prioviding us with products we need. Namely parts.
But hell no, they just hope the whole lot of our bikes will stop riding. So they can put more money out of our pockets.
Same goes for every other brand.

Why should you go for hd, for example. I ride a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki for less money, same or in my opinion for sure better bike than a hd, etc etc.
I would not wanna be found dead beside a hd. Not to speak of riding one.
My little kees is big enough so i don't need a bike brand for extension.
Not to speak of the price of the clothing.
A wise friend of mine once said, I can afford a hd, just cannot afford the clothing.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I surely hope you are joking. Do you really think that the same oil with the honda sticker on the box is better thanthe same oil with jimmy sticker? Or what ever sticker it carries.
Friend of mine owns a bike shop and garage. He has some hd's in maintenance. The owners want the original hd oil, spark plugs and so on. One hd sparkplug is as expensive as at least four (maybe more) ngk.
Do the last longer? Hell no, hd tells them to change the sparkplugs at every xxx miles. It is just hd that makes more money.
If you want to fool yourselve, my blessing you have. If you want to fool your wallet, please do.
If you want to maintain your bike just look for same products from other brands and you will save money. Notice your bike lasts as long as when you where using brand discribed products.
When I was Honda, I also would tell you to use only products with my name on it.
It is like the bond between the church and the nobles in the early 15th and 16 century. If you keep the people dumb, we will keep them poor.
No mother what brand of a bike I will ever ride. As soon as out of garanty I will use products for maintanace that will do the same, as cheap as I can get them.
The brands are rich enough and are ripping you while you are watching their products.

As for the shadows I ride and own, Honda doesn't give a ****. They are not happy we all are riding the old shadows. What Honda is concerned, they would be very pleased we all are buying newer types.
They should be proud we all keep riding and taking care of thise beautuifull bikes. They should honor us by prioviding us with products we need. Namely parts.
But hell no, they just hope the whole lot of our bikes will stop riding. So they can put more money out of our pockets.

Why should you go for hd, for example. I ride a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki for less money, same or in my opinion for sure better bike than a hd, etc etc.
A wise friend of mine once said, I can afford a hd, just cannot afford the clothing.
This forum never ceases to amaze me... Subject and idea of this thread is the Honda Specific oils and chemicals. Somehow it all turned into "I hate Harley Davidson."

To stay with topic, I use T6 Rotella because it has a decent following with few negative reviews. Price is good, results are good. I like it. I do appreciate the OP for posting the originals though.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I posted the .PDF file of the Honda Branded products simply because I thought it was interesting and useful. I was somewhat amazed at the variety of chemical products available with the Honda Brand Name specifically for Motorcycles.

Brand name OEM products will always be more expensive than Generic Products or "Knock-offs" that claim equivalency to the branded product, this is fact of life.

One thing that we pay for when buying a Branded OEM product is the performance of "Due Diligence" and knowing the product has been fully and properly tested for the exact application it is being sold for, this is very important to many people.

In any event it's nice that the products are available and at least provide
a reference for cost comparison in the market.

IMO you can't go wrong in terms of performance using Honda Branded/recommended products on your bike.

http://prohondaoils.com/wp-content/themes/prohonda/pdf/ProHondaCatalog2012.pdf

·
Registered
11,102 Posts

It is quite the list. If I use Mobil products on my bike am I in danger of hurting it? I wonder because Mobil provides the oil related products to Honda.

Honda anti-seize on the plugs works better than the $2.99 Form-a-Gasket crap I've been using? Heck, my plugs must not know the difference; they've loosened right up every year...go figure.

I seriously doubt any Honda wound up in the junkyard because the owner used Shell Rotella (at 1/2 the price) rather than Honda oil, or Prestone silicate free anti-freeze (at 1/4) the price, or regular old DOT brake fluid.

And premix??? Why pay top dollar for something that is 1/2 distilled water? I don't need to be a chemical engineer to measure and mix a 50/50 solution of antifreeze and distilled water, yet folks shell out the dough for that stuff......silly.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
After 64,000 miles, actually only less than 100 miles to hit 65,000 on my vlx,,my bike was rolled off of the show room floor with 1 mile on it. At 1000 miles I started using Supertech oil filters from walmart(now purolator) and rotella dino. The only work done on my bike has been a new clutch, at 58,000 or so miles.
So I'd say that staying strictly with honda products is simply a matter of choice. I think my mileage and lack of any problems sorta validate the fact that the use of non honda products won't hurt your bike. Hell, some of you even know I run a car tire on the back and have for years.(no balls of flame either).
Ride what you like, maintain it as you like, come here to moan when you have a problem. :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It is quite the list. If I use Mobil products on my bike am I in danger of hurting it? I wonder because Mobil provides the oil related products to Honda.

Honda anti-seize on the plugs works better than the $2.99 Form-a-Gasket crap I've been using? Heck, my plugs must not know the difference; they've loosened right up every year...go figure.

I seriously doubt any Honda wound up in the junkyard because the owner used Shell Rotella (at 1/2 the price) rather than Honda oil, or Prestone silicate free anti-freeze (at 1/4) the price, or regular old DOT brake fluid.

And premix??? Why pay top dollar for something that is 1/2 distilled water? I don't need to be a chemical engineer to measure and mix a 50/50 solution of antifreeze and distilled water, yet folks shell out the dough for that stuff......silly.

Just wanted to point out that I buy 50/50 solution because it's convenient. Some justify money as the issue, I justify time and annoyance. If it's already mixed, awesome.

Personally I don't have distilled water laying around, nor do I have a bowl or container to mix it in that's easy to poor into the vehicle.

Not saying YOUR way is bad, I'm just saying it doesn't correlate with my way. Both ways are fine, just whichever you find more valuable.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,539 Posts
Quite the list of products I hadn't realized Pro Honda had expanded their line that much. As far as using Pro Honda products:

If we look at 3 general categories of riders we could classify as

1. Those who do no DIY and have their vehicles serviced by someone else/dealer.
2. Those who DIY and are technically/mechanically skilled and have somewhat researched the supplies and procedures.
3. Those who perform simple maintenance but have not researched the supplies/oils/lubricants etc.

Honda has addressed the needs of the 3rd group by providing the correct supplies and taking some of the guesswork out of basic DIY. While Honda recommends you use their products (as well as recommending NGK, Denso Dunlop etc) they don't say you must use them and actually provide enough info in the owners manual to allow you to make an informed choice. For a lot of new riders, Honda is providing an easy way to switch from dealer service to simple DIY without standing at a parts counter wondering what product is correct and has been tested as compatible.

Bobolto and Vito both mention using the anti-seize compound for spark plugs and I will mention that both NGK and Denso (and almost all spark plugs) are made with a coating that eliminates seize and specifically recommend not to use any anti-seize compound. Honda recommends using the anti-seize compound for other threaded applications.

Vito I certainly hope you are speaking of Permatex anti-seize when you mention Form-a-gasket but again this is not required and is discouraged when using NGK spark plugs.

G.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Quite the list of products I hadn't realized Pro Honda had expanded their line that much. As far as using Pro Honda products:

2. Those who DIY and are technically/mechanically skilled and have somewhat researched the supplies and procedures.
3. Those who perform simple maintenance but have not researched the supplies/oils/lubricants etc.

Honda has addressed the needs of the 3rd group by providing the correct supplies and taking some of the guesswork out of basic DIY. While Honda recommends you use their products (as well as recommending NGK, Denso Dunlop etc) they don't say you must use them and actually provide enough info in the owners manual to allow you to make an informed choice. For a lot of new riders, Honda is providing an easy way to switch from dealer service to simple DIY without standing at a parts counter wondering what product is correct and has been tested as compatible.

Bobolto and Vito both mention using the anti-seize compound for spark plugs and I will mention that both NGK and Denso (and almost all spark plugs) are made with a coating that eliminates seize and specifically recommend not to use any anti-seize compound. Honda recommends using the anti-seize compound for other threaded applications.

Vito I certainly hope you are speaking of Permatex anti-seize when you mention Form-a-gasket but again this is not required and is discouraged when using NGK spark plugs.

G.
Thanks for pointing out the facts about the anti-seize compound.

Although I had already decided not to use it but for different reasons.

I was concerned about bits and pieces of it falling into the combustion chamber when changing the plugs after having used it. So I decided NOT to use it when I install the NGK Plugs.

Also I think Honda has addressed the needs of ALL THREE groups you mentioned in your post with their line of products.

Pro Honda Oils and Chemicals
Thought I would post this link to a .pdf file listing all of the Pro Honda
Oils and Chemicals used on Honda Motorcycles.

http://prohondaoils.com/wp-content/themes/prohonda/pdf/ProHondaCatalog2012.pdf

·
Registered
11,102 Posts

G.
Yes-Permatex. It's in the 'tube bin' with all the Form-a-Gasket stuff. Hope I never mix them up. And I didn't know about the coating on the plugs.....good info....thanks.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
never mind, it ain't worth arguing about.....
Well, I don't mind if you can't back up what you said...at least about the bikes ending up in the junkyard and all. Sorry if you think someone calling you on what you say is an argument.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Boys Stick with Wally World ....

Everyone else see below for quality Name Brand Products for your Bike. :smile:

Pro Honda Oils and Chemicals
Thought I would post this link to a .pdf file listing all of the Pro Honda
Oils and Chemicals used on Honda Motorcycles.

http://prohondaoils.com/wp-content/t...atalog2012.pdf
Thanks for posting this, this is helpful info for those of us who are just learning to do their own maintenance. I did switch to T6 recently and am quite happy with the results so far, but this is very helpful.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 43 Posts