Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will accelerate but once it gets to a spot it stops and then starts popping and jumping/ accelerating hard.
I put some seafoam in it hoping that will clear it up.
Think I might need a carb cleaning or something like that?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Need a bit more info.

These have rev limiters. Are you banging against the rev limiter?

·
Registered
17,943 Posts
Do you smell gas fumes??
IF so, Check for fuel dripping from the carb, the "float" may be stuck and not shutting off fuel properly...Crankcase can fill with Gas in this mishap...
Mine done this tonite, fuel was dripping...(float stuck)

I`ll sort it out tomorrow, as them carbs are a booger bear to get lined back up...
I ain`t messing with it tonite

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you *think* you need a carb cleaning, you probably need a carb cleaning. The only time you don't need a carb cleaning is when you KNOW you do not need a carb cleaning.

The next question, how deep of a cleaning do you need?

Will a can of seafoam and a tank full of fresh fuel solve the problem? Do you have rust in the tank that will make the problem repeat? Do you need a new fuel filter and nothing else? Do you need a new fuel filter AND a carb cleaning? Blah-blah-blah...

Start simple...If you have added a can of Seafoam to the tank, let it run its course. Run at least two more tanks through the bike before you call it fresh fuel. How does it run at that point?

If it is still surging, check the filters. Maybe you need a replacement fuel filter? Maybe the tank has rust inside and will continue to clog new filters no matter what you do? Maybe your filter is ruined and let debris pass into the carbs? Now your filter and carbs need replacing!

Maybe this is a spark issue, not a fuel issue? Maybe your CDI is the culprit and not the fuel?

Suck-Squeeze-Bang-Blow

Any one of those steps not-working and your engine doesn't run right. It's probably not Squeeze, so...

Either you're not sucking fuel & air.

You're not squeezing the F/A mix.

You're not igniting the compressed F/A mix.

Or you're not blowing it out the exhaust pipe.

It's that simple.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
What bike are you riding? At least give us a hint. Is it just happening at a certain speed? In all gears? If you upshift does it cease? Help us help you. And I hate to say it, but here goes. Do you have service manual? A real one, preferably.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
well, something is wrong... It's not supposed to pop when accelerating.

BTW backfire means it pops through the carbs, and you'd feel it under the seat.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Drawing a blank - is a '94 1100 a single carb or twin carb?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Back-firing it goes back thru carb. taking air filter out. Don't think thats prob.

It popping out the tailpipe. Valve timing(clearance) every 20k, crack valve(have not been running Avgas have you) cooking the top end?

Have you modified the your tail pipe? Are you getting raw fuel past the valve into tailpipe?

And does it only happen under load?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts