Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1983 Honda Shadow VT500C, the front turn signals don't work. The rear turn signals work perfect. I go to switch the left signal on, it stays bright for a few seconds and then it goes off and doesn't work. The right front doesn't even come on. What could it be? What should I check for? Could it be the bulbs? Flasher? Electrical problem?

Thanks,
Ethan

·
Registered
184 Posts
haha! You answered your own question :)

FIRST, check the bulbs, replace the bulbs, see what that does.
Second, check the connections from the bulb to the headlight bucket, see what that does.
Third, try the relay, unlikely though since the rear works.
Fourth, search for a big electrical problem related yet unrelated tot hat issue, you may have a pinched hot wire making ground...

Fifth, just a thought, clean the turn signal switch contacts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha! You answered your own question :)

FIRST, check the bulbs, replace the bulbs, see what that does.
Second, check the connections from the bulb to the headlight bucket, see what that does.
Third, try the relay, unlikely though since the rear works.
Fourth, search for a big electrical problem related yet unrelated tot hat issue, you may have a pinched hot wire making ground...

Fifth, just a thought, clean the turn signal switch contacts
I'll give all this a try and report back what I find. Thank you for the help!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Im betting more toward bulbs or loose/pinched wire.....but mostly toward wiring. I could see one bulb going dead but not two just like that...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a question.... by chance did you install replacement LED Lamps?
Behaviour becomes VERY strange if you attempt to replace the bulbs with direct replacement LEDs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im betting more toward bulbs or loose/pinched wire.....but mostly toward wiring. I could see one bulb going dead but not two just like that...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle App
Well, the right bulb is no good. The left bulb would not shut off and it got pretty hot to the touch. It stayed on even with the signal switch in the off position. Finally it did shut off. What could be the problem?

I have a question.... by chance did you install replacement LED Lamps?
Behaviour becomes VERY strange if you attempt to replace the bulbs with direct replacement LEDs.
They are aftermarket lamps, but don't know if there LED's. The right bulb is no good and the left when on, gets pretty darn hot. The lense is totally warped and melted. The right lense is what it is supposed to look like.

Any help guys would be much appreciated!:eek:

Ethan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I have an 84 vt500. Was having a similar issue. I found the problem was the switch itself. When I jiggled it the light would work, sometimes the signal wouldn't even function as a marker light. I just give er a little dose of wd40, been working right for three months now

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ethan, could you do us a favor and get a pic of the turn signal closer? I cant really tell what we're working with by your signature pic, but they are definitely aftermarket, and this is where I want to start.

I wish I would have seen that when I was posting from my phone!!!

Also take a shot of the one that lights up, Lit up, if possible. Post here and we'll see what can be done.

It's a whole new animal with aftermarket lights that you're not familiar with, and these little requests will help you solve your big problem :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey, I have an 84 vt500. Was having a similar issue. I found the problem was the switch itself. When I jiggled it the light would work, sometimes the signal wouldn't even function as a marker light. I just give er a little dose of wd40, been working right for three months now
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Ethan, could you do us a favor and get a pic of the turn signal closer? I cant really tell what we're working with by your signature pic, but they are definitely aftermarket, and this is where I want to start.

I wish I would have seen that when I was posting from my phone!!!

Also take a shot of the one that lights up, Lit up, if possible. Post here and we'll see what can be done.

It's a whole new animal with aftermarket lights that you're not familiar with, and these little requests will help you solve your big problem :)
See if this pic is a little better.

The lamp on the right in this picture is the one that stays on and then goes off. It has gotten so hot, that it melted/warped the plastic lense.:sad:

If you need a closer pic, I can get you one. Tomorrow, I'll get a better pic close up and lit.

Thank you all for your help! Greatly appreciated!:eek:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
my guess is that they are just single filament bulbs !!
do the blinkers have 2 wires or three wires comming out of them ??
and what does the bulb itself look like ? 2 or 1 filament ??

if its a single filament bulb then they should be wired only to flash
not stay on as running lights ..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my guess is that they are just single filament bulbs !!
do the blinkers have 2 wires or three wires comming out of them ??
and what does the bulb itself look like ? 2 or 1 filament ??

if its a single filament bulb then they should be wired only to flash
not stay on as running lights ..
I will get you a pic of the bulb itself tomorrow, too.:-D

It's a weird looking bulb. It comes to a point at the very end of the bulb.

The blinkers have 2 wires coming from them. One black wire and the other is a black wire, with a white stripe.

Thanks,
Ethan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a pic close up of the bulb that stays on. Sorry for the terrible photo's guys.:sad:

Here is a pic of it lit.

I noticed, when I go to "jiggle" the switch, the bulb flickers a little. Is it supposed to do that?

Also, the right bulb is totally melted. It seems like they get WAY too hot, IMO.

Hope these pics are alright. Again, sorry for the poor quality of photo's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.