Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1999 Honda shadow 750 Ace Deluxe. The bike runs great except for the popping when i come off the gas. The bike has Hard Krome Kickers on it with the baffles in it, stock air intake and unsure if jetted. How can i stop it from popping. 2nd thing it is really loud, is there any thing i can do to quied it down without replacing the exhaust. really like the looks of them. Any help will be great. :(

·
Registered
865 Posts
You may be able to adjust the air screws to help the popping, and if they're not wrapped already, you may be able to wrap the baffles in fiberglass to quiet the pipes a little more. You should be able to find all the info you need on this site.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Popping

Yep, like the man said,
enrich your fuel mixture with the air screw, and may check if there is an air leak at the connection of the pipe, if there is it could be crush washer no good or missing, or nuts not tight enough.

For the air leak you will hear a pfffft at every stroke, close to the heads.

For the noise look if hard krome has quiet baffles (V&H have them for 30 dollars), if not the fiber glass wrap trick is a good one to do, or you can remove actual baffle, weld a sst cap at the end (the part that goes inside the pipe)and drill it some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update on popping

Well worked on it last night. air intake cleaner was missing gasket, replaced gasket and minor change. Drilled out caps on carbs and ajusted 2 1/4 to turns. No more popping, will try to get out today and run it to see if this did the trick. Thanks for all the info. Still waiting for the wrap to come in. :D

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I kinda like a little popping when I come to a stop...or are you saying that maybe someone will think I'm doing a drive-by?!!!!!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have 40,000 miles on it, so if was going to get damaged, it would've shown up by now. It is not running lean, persay. The popping only takes place from 1/4 throttle or less , which is the slow speed curcuit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Still had popping after ajustment on deceleration so tried something else. Can't wrap them due to the tight fit so I bought short baffles 4 1/4" ones online from jcwhitney and slid them into the existing baffles and replaced the allen head screw with stanles screw and bulted the origional baffle in place, slid the new baffle info the old one over the screw and but a lock washer and nut. No more popping and it is somewhat quieter. Won't get that look everytime I pass a cop. :lol:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Re: Update

skeeter03 said:
Still had popping after ajustment on deceleration so tried something else. Can't wrap them due to the tight fit so I bought short baffles 4 1/4" ones online from jcwhitney and slid them into the existing baffles and replaced the allen head screw with stanles screw and bulted the origional baffle in place, slid the new baffle info the old one over the screw and but a lock washer and nut. No more popping and it is somewhat quieter. Won't get that look everytime I pass a cop. :lol:
Looks like you did good, I run my A/F adjustment at 3.0 turns from a lightly seated position, I will still get just a little (tiny) popping on deaccelerate if I don't completely close the throttle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar Problem with Popping

So I'm looking to buy this bike soon. Its a Honda Shadow 1100. Its got some cool customizations. The original owner put on a new exhaust, what he called "harley style exhaust" not sure what that means, and I didn't catch the manufacturer. But anyhow, I took it for a ride the other day and it was a great bike, except the popping didn't sound right to me. He tried to tell me that it normal for all harley's to pop like that. He also said a baffle is loose. This is in North Arizona about 5200 ft. so might have something to do with a lean mixture. Or maybe the baffle? I'll probably buy the bike anyway, it should probably be an easy fix. I don't have much experience with exhaust or carburation, so a walkthrough would be appreciated.

-Jonny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts