Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup y'all, Ive been helping a friend of mine fix his bike, its been left for a very long time, and his father put paint thinner in the gas tank (stupid fool)

we've been struggling to get it running again. at first we tried to fix the carb, we took it out and it was rusted. i used a sewing needle to push the rust out and clean it all up. but some of the bolts on the carb were stripped so we couldnt get to those parts n check for rust. after we put it back together we got some 93 gas and added 2oz seafoam to it.

its been trying to crank for a while, after several hours we got it running, but on full choke and a towel over the air filter. theres a problem, weve got it to the point where we can leave the air system open and tried to start it up at full choke. whenever we let go of the gas or gave too much gas itll die when the choke was on half or off.

does it need to be adjusted, and if yes how can we do that we cannot find the hardware that leads to it. or does it need further cleaning which means getting those stripped bolts off.

any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

the bike is a 1998 Honda Shadow VLX 600cc all stock

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh another thing my friend wants to add, itll run without reveing the gas if you bounce on te bike up and down, whenever we stoped bouncing itll die, the gas tank itself is coated in a tan paintlike substance (from paint thiner?) but we drained out the old gas and it seems to have steady flow. the fuel filter seems to be full of gas and the fuel pump working, however i cannot hear or feel it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
if it were me I would take the carbs back off and hit those rusty bolts with PBlaster, get them completely apart then, do a thorough cleaning and re-build of both carbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we could do that but the problem is the bolts are stripped, we cannot get them out unless using a extractor. but if thats what you'll suggest we'll try it. we found a PDF service manual on this forum and we're gonna try and see if we can adjust it. all suggestions will be kept in mind and considered. thank you :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we've got the carb back out now, we're checking everything we can again, but still cannot get the stripped bolts out. philips screwdrivers aint doing nothing. tell us what needs to be checked, specific details or pictures would help alot. thanks

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Easy-outs on the stripped bolts. Gotta get those out. Paint thinner? Good gawd. Every inch of that fuel system is gonna have to be brought back. How's the rubber... the seals, the o-rings, the diaphragms? Can't be good...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easy-outs on the stripped bolts. Gotta get those out. Paint thinner? Good gawd. Every inch of that fuel system is gonna have to be brought back. How's the rubber... the seals, the o-rings, the diaphragms? Can't be good...
still cant get the stripped bolts, but we got the 'bellies' out so we can look at the float and the nozzles, everything seems to be un-cloged and air flows thru very good.

the seals are fine, we put new gasket on, seals are ok, we took off the blocks from the clamps so they can tighten better. rubber hoses seem to be clear, fuel system pumps gas, the bike peed on John lol.

i think we've come to a point that it can be a major air leak after the air filter, when we took the carb off it didnt struggle getting off the air hoses..

what you think?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sounds like the pilot jets are still clogged. And then of course everything previously posted. I'm kinda lazy when the problems are that bad. I might just buy a new set or take it to the shop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.