Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me how I can get more slack out of my throttle cables? I can get the first one seated but the second cable is just to tight. I need about 1/4 slack in the second to get it all together.
the bike is a 1999 Shadow Areo 1100.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Don't know for sure on your bike. On mine you would loosen the other end of the cable enough to make the connection, then tighten the cable back up.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can anyone please tell me how I can get more slack out of my throttle cables? I can get the first one seated but the second cable is just to tight. I need about 1/4 slack in the second to get it all together.
the bike is a 1999 Shadow Areo 1100.
There is a barrel screw where the throttle and return cables attach to the carburetors. I suppose you could get some slack there. I do not know if there is a quarter inch, however. Also, the barrel screws at the grip itself has some slack. I suppose in the worst case, you could unhook the cables from the carburetors, attach the cables to your new grip, then reconnect to the carbs. Keep in mind you want the system to have sufficient slack to operate smoothly and without binding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a barrel screw where the throttle and return cables attach to the carburetors. I suppose you could get some slack there. I do not know if there is a quarter inch, however. Also, the barrel screws at the grip itself has some slack. I suppose in the worst case, you could unhook the cables from the carburetors, attach the cables to your new grip, then reconnect to the carbs. Keep in mind you want the system to have sufficient slack to operate smoothly and without binding.

Thats what I was trying to avoid. My bike has many miles on it an 2 previous owners who have made numerious modifications to it.. I was trying to avoid taking off the gas tank to get to the cables because of all the extras. Even though it is a Honda I have encountered Standard bolts , and othe hidden supprises...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thats what I was trying to avoid. My bike has many miles on it an 2 previous owners who have made numerious modifications to it.. I was trying to avoid taking off the gas tank to get to the cables because of all the extras. Even though it is a Honda I have encountered Standard bolts , and othe hidden supprises...
The tank is easy to remove. Besides, on the Aero 1100, the tank does not need to be removed in order to access the throttle cables on the carburetors (it is easier with the tank off, but it can be done). Take a look. There are two screws that hold the cable bracket to the carbs. Remove them and you can easily unhook the cables from the carbs. Then attach the cables to the throttle grip and then re attach the cables to the carbs. Lastly, attach the bracket to the carbs and voila, you are done.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Looses bars so they can be rotated and loosen ALL adjusters at carbs and grips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. It only took 4 hours , 2 bloody knuckles and 1 near broken finger... Always a learning experience.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice. It only took 4 hours , 2 bloody knuckles and 1 near broken finger... Always a learning experience.

Just think, Next time you'll only spend 10 minutes and get 1 bloody knuckle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts