Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my new Springs..I was just going to drop in the springs and was told I needed to know what pre-load to put on them...where should the spacer be level with tube or half inch up..quarter in ...any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Re-install the old springs and spacers back into the fork tubes and verify the correct elevation yourself. Usually you'd have to make new spacers from pvc pipes. When you screw down the fork cap into the fork tube, you do pre-load the springs by ¾-inch, etc.

Oh, I assumed you were installing Progressive springs. If not, disregard the above.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,758 Posts
When installing fork caps, dry fit the thread engagement spot and mark with a Sharpie. Makes going back together much easier under pressure. 91% rubbing alcohol cleans Sharpie off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Should be a recommended spacer length chart with the springs or on Progressive's site. I cut the oem spacers down for mine rather than use the PVC, though I have used the PVC before.

·
Registered
710 Posts
iirc, A general guide for cruisers is to use approx.1/3 of the travel from full extension with bike at rest and you sitting on it, may have to try several spacer lengths. so pvc is good for experimenting. As air volume is one of the things that can affect ride/handling, the thicker walled pvc may be a bit stiffer suspension than the thin-walled factory spacers of the same length as less air volume for compression, lowering or raising the oil level a few mm is also a fine tuning option to compensate. Note- this is really a fine-tuning bit.

check fork oil levels too while it's apart if you're not changing it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Use less oil too. Memory doesn't serve, so I forget if you can go with the oil height method, but the volume method per manual will give too stiff a ride.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,408 Posts
When installing fork caps, dry fit the thread engagement spot and mark with a Sharpie. Makes going back together much easier under pressure. 91% rubbing alcohol cleans Sharpie off.
Great tip, I knew nothing of that Sharpie trick. I have done several sets of forks and only knew that getting them caps started is a pita.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,758 Posts
When I get around to doing the forks on the Valk, I'm going to weigh the stock springs versus the Racetech springs and figure the percentage difference and adjust the fork oil accordingly as Valks oil capacity is different in each leg/tube. There always seem to be a lot of different views on that particular bike as it has inverted forks like the VTX1800. On a note, when I added Progressives to the 1100 Spirit, they didn't send a long enough piece of PVC to do both tubes @ 1/2" preload length.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts