Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
I've seen cars hit 18-wheelers sitting at a red light not moving and you guys think your cute little flashing lights and neon colored power ranger out fits help?

Chill out and just ride.

"But I'm scared I might get hurt or worse!"

Yeah, well wrap yourself in bubble wrap and stay in your cage. Boo-effing-hoo.

....sorry, had to get that out of my system....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hahahahahahahahahahaha power Ranger outfits.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
I've seen cars hit 18-wheelers sitting at a red light not moving and you guys think your cute little flashing lights and neon colored power ranger out fits help?

Chill out and just ride.

"But I'm scared I might get hurt or worse!"

Yeah, well wrap yourself in bubble wrap and stay in your cage. Boo-effing-hoo.

....sorry, had to get that out of my system....

Tell us how u really feel:)
You picking on me again?
I don't care, we agree to disagree and enjoy our common passions!
We can't protect and prevent everything by our gear or lights. We have to be the best we can:
As has been stated here, keep practicing, keep you dadgum eyes open, look for the idjets that are not looking for you, have an escape route!
Modulaters, flashers and high viz work great when people are somewhat aware that there is a world outside of their car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Modulaters, flashers and high viz work great when people are somewhat aware that there is a world outside of their car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not picking on you at all. Your last line sums it up "when people are somewhat aware that there is a world outside of their car."

They aren't (I drive for a living now), so that stuff don't help. You should see how many near misses I have a day. They wouldn't be near misses if I hadn't gone to UPS driving school (it really opens your eyes). I'd have little car bits all over my truck.

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
...You should see how many near misses I have a day. They wouldn't be near misses if I hadn't gone to UPS driving school (it really opens your eyes). I'd have little car bits all over my truck.
Then, if Brown's Trucks were Vizzy and had blinky headlights And maybe some neon glow-sticks thrown under the hood and wheel wells then you mightn't have had issues at all. ;)

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Then, if Brown's Trucks were Vizzy and had blinky headlights And maybe some neon glow-sticks thrown under the hood and wheel wells then you mightn't have had issues at all. ;)

Shut up Mark (boy, seems like I haven't said that in a long while!)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I agree with @Theja1, most drivers simply do not pay attention to driving! I drove a big truck for several years and have seen a lot of close calls, thank god I have never seen a "really bad" accident happen. I just don't understand how people nowadays that are so concerned with safety and afraid of any kind of injury will drive around playing with there phone or looking at who they are talking to more than the road.

I was at walmart the other day and as I was riding in the lane that is in front of the store a driver coming towards the store turns left just as I am in front of them, I hit the horn, and they never even looked my way. Of course I swerved right and gave it enough throttle to keep from getting hit. I am so glad there were no cars parked in the fire lane. I had another driver almost turn left in front of me the next day, I was on the brakes before they stabbed theirs.

I believe that defensive riding skills are are as much or more important than what we can do to be noticed by drivers that are more concerned with their phone or radio than the lives of others. If you want to run a modulator (I am thinking about one for my bike) or wear bright riding gear or wear full leather and a full face helmet in 100 degree heat that is your choice and if it keeps you enjoying the hobby I say go for it. I personally like my half helmet and no sleeves. I do wear long jeans and a denim jacket without sleeves, My jacket is always on top of whatever I am wearing, not so much for safety or the "cool" factor, but because my cousin's memorial patch is on it and I ride with him always.

States need to do/require more awareness training for drivers to help keep everyone safe.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
They aren't (I drive for a living now), so that stuff don't help. You should see how many near misses I have a day. They wouldn't be near misses if I hadn't gone to UPS driving school (it really opens your eyes). I'd have little car bits all over my truck.

Huh...what... what did I miss?:serious: Haven't been on here alot lately dealing with my father's estate but, you no longer work at the Harley dealer? I take it you drive for UPS now?

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Huh...what... what did I miss?:serious: Haven't been on here alot lately dealing with my father's estate but, you no longer work at the Harley dealer? I take it you drive for UPS now?

Lol, yeah....switched a couple weeks ago. I haven't been on much because of training.

I'm still going to help out at the Harley place as needed.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Lol, yeah....switched a couple weeks ago. I haven't been on much because of training.

I'm still going to help out at the Harley place as needed.

Whatever it takes to keep that employee discount, right?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just searched for and read through this whole thread. I'm looking into a headlight modulator after my wreck. I practice situational awareness, extremely defensive riding, and have been riding for about 11 years. I still found myself in a situation where my "outs" were taken away and I could not avoid taking the hit. All of those habits did keep my injuries to "just" a dislocated shoulder. However, in the specific circumstances of my wreck, a modulator might have made a difference. It might not have, but I've seen a guy running one once, and it was eye-catching as all get out.

So my question to y'all is: What brand/type do you recommend from personal experience?

I have an '07 Aero 750. I've never really looked into modulators before, but I have time to shop while I wait for my bike to get fixed and my shoulder to heal.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I'm for anything that helps people see a motorcycle. I've lights front and rear to both my Valks. Mounting them down low on the front creates a very effective triangle but nothing is 100%, still have to look out for everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't know, don't care. Plenty of folks all over who spend time making sure they have a modulator, anti lock brakes, $500+ helmet, hi-viz padded gear from head to toe, flashing brake lights, and spend ZERO time honing safe riding skills like emergency stopping, swerving, and developing situational awareness.

A modulator won't help when a distracted driver approaches you from behind while you are stopped at an intersection, won't help in many situations involving your lane position, the position of cars around you, and traffic turning across or into your lane of travel. I agree that they can be seen more readily in a one on one situation with opposing traffic that wants to turn left, but you are still a speck in the mix with traffic all around.
Yes we are still a speck but anything and everything I can do to become more visible is worth at least looking into. i agree we all are responsible for honing our riding skills however even the safest most skilled rider can still be unseen at the wrong time. If the modulator helps you to be seen even if it is only from the front then that is a great help.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks guys. I was looking at the Signal Dynamics one. Looks like it has all the features I want. Much appreciated. Might have to get the brake light unit as well. First I have to figure out how to pay all of the medical bills I'm stuck with at the moment, but once I'm able to get something I'll let you know how it works out.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts